MEGAPHACELUM thread

harris

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Ohio
It’s been 5 months since these two little beasts arrived. They have doubled their size. Their appetite is relentless. They remind of a pelican, to which ANYTHING they can fit in the jaws on those massive heads, they will swallow it. They will eat until they have a worm or pinky tail hanging out of their mouths because they’ve eaten so much.
What I find so fascinating is that within 6hrs later they act like they haven’t eaten in days. Their metabolism is off the charts, considering they thrive best in water temps of 58-64F.
If you look at the head shot, you can already see the “shell” beginning to grow over its’ head. I have a 3rd arriving next week and I couldn’t be more excited.
We’re going to make a difference with this species, folks. I will keep this thread updated as time goes on...........E29518CA-F9CB-4926-ACAB-1F8B0C42DB47.jpeg 7750188C-C18A-4C7D-A191-59695A95EF6E.jpeg C6F6A1AA-A99F-405D-B98A-D51BE179DF5E.jpeg 2445A1AF-F985-4B0F-8B90-867061E6B9FE.jpeg

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
I call dibs on the first baby you sell!

That’s a given, man. Hold your breath and hope they end up being 3 males or 3 females. If that’s the case, one of them will be headed to the Golden State

mark1

5 Year Member
ohio
very cool turtles , if I were to have more turtle they'd be these guys and cuora ………. do you plan on hibernating these guys ?

Turtle girl 98

Sandstone mn
It’s been 5 months since these two little beasts arrived. They have doubled their size. Their appetite is relentless. They remind of a pelican, to which ANYTHING they can fit in the jaws on those massive heads, they will swallow it. They will eat until they have a worm or pinky tail hanging out of their mouths because they’ve eaten so much.
What I find so fascinating is that within 6hrs later they act like they haven’t eaten in days. Their metabolism is off the charts, considering they thrive best in water temps of 58-64F.
If you look at the head shot, you can already see the “shell” beginning to grow over its’ head. I have a 3rd arriving next week and I couldn’t be more excited.
We’re going to make a difference with this species, folks. I will keep this thread updated as time goes on...........View attachment 281006 View attachment 281007 View attachment 281005 View attachment 281004
What species are they? I very well could google it I suppose lol. They're very very pretty!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
We’re going to make a difference with this species, folks. I will keep this thread updated as time goes on...........View attachment 281006 View attachment 281007 View attachment 281005 View attachment 281004
I had no idea their tails were so long. Seems like that would be a detriment.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
very cool turtles , if I were to have more turtle they'd be these guys and cuora ………. do you plan on hibernating these guys ?

Yes, but not this year. As they grow towards maturity I will be.....

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
I had no idea their tails were so long. Seems like that would be a detriment.

Oh no, exactly the opposite. They spend their lives inhabiting fast flowing brooks and streams. They spend much of their time in the small pools that gather. But when it's time to go on the move again, they travel UPSTREAM. Their tails are used as stabilizers as their gripping the rocks and moving themselves forward against the current. They are almost prehensile in a sense. Their climbing ability is unmatched by any other turtle / tortoise.......

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Do you happen to know an honest and trustworthy source for these and maybe the other subspecies/species in the Platysternon family? I've seen a couple of ads on Fauna or Kingsnake but at $700 apiece Having a trustworthy and reputable seller is a big deal.

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Do you happen to know an honest and trustworthy source for these and maybe the other subspecies/species in the Platysternon family? I've seen a couple of ads on Fauna or Kingsnake but at $700 apiece Having a trustworthy and reputable seller is a big deal.

Sorry, William. Just now seeing this. Stay AWAY from the one’s that you see for that price. It would either be a scam or an illegal import. About the lowest you will find is around $1750 for a ‘19 HATCHLING. They’re out there, but very, very few private breeders outside of zoos. If you’re still interested at that price, message me and I will point you in the right direction.

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Wow:eek:! That's a lot. Definitely not what I could afford anytime soon. I thought $700 was a lot. Out of curiosity are all of the subspecies(species)available?

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
This is big head # 3. He arrived around 5 weeks ago, a little underweight and a little worse for wear, but otherwise in perfect health. He's adapted well and is doing excellent! We're a couple years off yet, but I'm saying he's a "he", because I can just tell by his behavior.

t11061.jpg 11062.jpg 11063.jpg

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR

harris

10 Year Member!
Ohio
Well here’s a very first for me. I’ve never before seen a nocturnal big head basking under the uv during daytime hrs. She was peacefully napping away. I guess that’s what a belly full of pinkies can do to a girl. D5D8CD4C-2498-4A14-BA07-2751560AB4CA.jpeg