Mega Ray UVB Bulb Owners

Status
Not open for further replies.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
WI
Just received my two bulbs today, and I am kinda pissed. One BLEW literally two seconds after being in the fixture. As in, its burnt out completely and I am supposed to pay return shipping. I am calling the company first thing in the morning.

I'm really friggin happy that I ordered two of them (one was supposed to be for little Anouk....) because the second one managed to work.

Now, here are my questions:

What is the light supposed to look like? Right now it is almost fluorescent looking, and I do not really like it at all. Its kind of an eye-sore. My old lamp had a nice yellow/sunny look to it. This is like white/purple light. And I can't even compare the two bulbs because one of them is already dead.

Also, under the "warnings" part it said avoid over exposure to UV radiation while working around the lamp. Turn off light while working in the enclosure.
And Never place lamp in close proximity to humans, or in high human traffic areas where UV exposure could occur.

Well, Nigel is right next to the couch. In the living room. Where I spend all of my time.

I do not want to get cancer.

Someone please help. If this is abnormal, or if the Trex bulbs don't look like florescent lights, I am so ready to complain until they allow me a full refund, so I can get something else.

Please HELP. I am pretty upset here.

I really want to put my other bulb back in....and might just do it. Nigel is resting under the bushes in his enclosure now, and I have really never seen him do it...

I had actually woken him up in the process of changing the bulbs, and he was sleeping right under the light.

Does anyone know what the return policy is?

Can't I use a bulb with just UVA if I supplement him with D3 twice a week?

I am not liking the fact that the bulb is so LARGE. Edges peek out from under the fixture, and its a pain in the eyes. (literally)

MEGARAY008.jpg

Could this be solved by a bigger fixture? Does a 10 inch lamp cover the entire bulb??

Clementine_3

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Upstate NY
I can't help you at all since I have not used this bulb but am very glad you posted this thread.
I've been thinking about switching Turtle's bulb for a while now but haven't yet...and may not. What has stopped me from doing so is that I like to leave his UVB strip on for about 10-12 hours and his regular light bulb on for 14 or so hours, can't do that with the all in ones.
I know the Mega Rays have a much higher output than the 10.0 I'm using but the warning is a tad worrisome to me, I'm actually allergic to the sun so know first-hand what overexposure can do to skin (for me overexposure is about an hour!!) and really wouldn't feel comfortable with that dang thing hanging over Turtle (or near me, frankly).
Anyway, I should think a bigger dome would cover more of it up for you at any rate.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
1. I have heard of the bulbs blowing. It can be for no reason, or the socket you put it in may have not been rated high enough. It needs to be rated higher than the actual bulb wattage, such as 250 watts for a 100 watt bulb. I had an exchange with them (reptileuv) and as they never instructed me about return shipping costs, I actually have not yet sent it back. It's their fault if they did not respond to my e-mails and call. They should pay for return shipping in my opinion if it is their fault. You also cannot use an extension cord with these.

2. Did you try turning it back on after 20-30 minutes, or did it fully blow out and pop the filament? It will turn itself off if it overheats, etc. If you wait awhile sometimes they will be ok. If you try to turn it on right after it "blows", it takes approx. 10 minutes for it to cool off and then turn itself on.

3. Yes, the light is very bright. I would not keep it at eye level in your living room. I personally have mine higher off the ground than eye level when we're on the couch. The larger dome will make a HUGE difference for you. The 10 in. dome I have does cover the entire bulb. It is also recommended to disperse the light per the manufacturer or else you will get one very hot spot. You have to be very careful with these and check the temps with a temp gun or very accurate thermometer.

4. What kind of bulb do you have now? If it's not a MVB then I really hope you can make these work since the UVB output is sooooo much lower with the tube lights. Supplementing D3 in my opinion couldn't compare.

5. The light level is good for the Testudo species--most people like Danny recommend using additional light in the enclosure more than most of us use. Likely, Nigel is not used to it and became a little scared with the change. As with any change in their enclosure, it will take some time.

6. Also, having non-clear sides on the enclosure will keep the light in more and make it seem less bright for you. I can see the light from Trevor's enclosure when I walk down the stairs in the morning in the dark--and it's 180 deg behind the stairs!

But yeah, the major problem is your dome. Hate to say I told you so but I said you needed the bigger one, lol. Best wishes.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I was so surprised by the size of the bulb...my other bulb could fit in my hand, but only had a UVA output...

The light is a problem to me, Nigel was actually stretching his neck out and looking up towards it after a bit, so maybe he appreciated the change since it was a more "natural" light. I guess the output is very close to noon day sunlight, but we humans just aren't used to seeing it condensed.

My socket is rated for 150 watts, and I put the other bulb in the same fixture and it works fine. The first one literally blew. I heard the click and every thing just like a normal bulb. I even tried in it Anouk's lamp, but it did not come back on.

I am curious to know if the Trex bulbs have a whiter light as well.....If so, I may just exchange the busted Mega ray for a new one. If their light is more yellow, I would rather get a Trex at this point...

Kate, where did you get your lamp from? Like, walmart, home depot? I think I am going to pick up another one...I don't mind the brightness as long as I don't have to look at the bulb itself. How much did it run you?

Maggie, Yvonne? Any comments on the color of the Trex lights?

M

Maggie Cummings

I use 160 watt Trex bulb and the color of the light is normal. However I have used Megaray in the past and you are right about the light being whiter...and I do use the big dome...12 inch I think

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Sheesh....So the Trex bulbs have a "nicer" light?

Well then darnit...maybe I will send both of them back.

Maggie--how big is your bulb? Does it stick out of the lamp at all?

I wish I would have asked this question about light sooner...Nigel was hiding under the bushes again this morning...usually he is there for breakfast, and then on his way. I am calling the company the morning.

Thanks for the link nrfitchett4! I think I am gonna get some stuff from there...

Now, who uses what?

Would I be better off with this:T rex

or this:
Solar Glo

or this:

Power Sun

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I am returning both bulbs. I talked to Bob today on the phone, and he told me that the bulb that busted was a "leaker" and that it happens with about 1% of their bulbs...I am wondering why that wasn't on the site.

Nigel was also avoiding the light this morning, so I unscrewed the Mega Ray and put his old bulb back.

After work this morning, he is back, basking underneath it like normal.

Mega Ray offered to test the bulb that was giving off such a white light (he said it was impossible, and that usually they get complaints that it is too green.) and he would pay for shipping both ways. But I insisted on a refund. I am not happy with the bulb, and obviously, neither was Nigel.

After how harsh that light was, I wouldn't have even DREAMED of putting it over baby Anouk....especially with the warnings about UV radiation...to have two bulbs in the same room would have drove me nuts, and I would have worried.

And yes, I know that the output of UVB is much higher with Mega Ray, but I don't really think that it would be a good thing to run it 14 hrs a day then...I would rather have a lower bulb that I can safely run without worrying about Radiation poisoning. :(

Now, I was just wondering if the Trex in the link above is the right lamp...if it is, I will just skip wondering about the other two, and buy that one. If not, could someone please post me the link to the proper bulb?

Nigel and I would really appreciate it! :D

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
The most reasonable price I can find a Trex for is 43$

Now, for those that were saying that they got theirs under thirty, would you mind telling me what brand you are using?

Is a powersun the same thing as a Trex? Is there a difference between the two in output or something?

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
you wont find a MVB for under $30, Trex is the same thing as a megaray, and powersun i heard is not good as megarays or Trex bulbs as far as UVB output. All the bulbs also have the UVB warning, these bulbs put out a lot of UVB and the warning is there and most if not all.

The ones under $30 i would assume are the floresent ones and not an MVB, i think LLLreptiles has one of the cheaper prices.

I use the Trex and like it a lot, basking area is 100ish, give or take.

M

Maggie Cummings

I just know that I have always had good luck with the trex. I especially don't hesitate to recommend LLReptile. They have always treated me right. I might suggest you call them and talk to someone describe your set ups and have them recommend the right bulb for you. If you've already done that, I apologize and I'm sorry I can't be of more help.

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
I have an off-brand of dome lamp, 10 in., rated to 250 watts. Ordered online; you can get the hardware store types, just make sure it's a ceramic socket.

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
So even though Trex is the same as Megaray, the light is still a better color? I REALLY want to make sure that it is not that crappy white color before I stick another utility bill's worth of cash into them :(

I do like the brand exo terra....they have a really good website, and they had a 8 minute video on lighting and what was proper...

has anyone ever used their UVB bulb? This is the quote from LLLreptile.

The Exo Terra Solar Glo Sun Simulating Lamp is the solution to one of the most important aspects of keeping reptiles and amphibians, providing the benefits of natural sunlight. The proper balance of ultraviolet light (including UVA and UVB), visual light and infrared light (heat) in one easy-to-install bulb makes the Exo Terra Solar Glo the choice of professional breeders. The Solar Glo is a full spectrum light with carefully tuned peaks to ensure appetite, activity, brilliant colors, and calcium absorption through Vitamin D3 production, and above all to prevent metabolic bone disease.

Has anyone else used this site? They have Trex bulbs for 37$ and a flat shipping rate of 12$ for unlimited products, unless their is a weight excess...

Reptile Depot

tortoisenerd

5 Year Member
Washington
What is the uvb output on it? I'd see what published data is out there to compare. I've really only heard such high praise for the Mega Ray, T-Rex, and the newer Powersun bulbs.

Not sure what you mean about it being white...

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
I am in the process of buying two Trex bulbs from the reptile depot site...It looks very legitimate, my internet says its safe, they have a myspace, detailed pics of the store, and very good feedback...I also have a code for 10% of my entire order (the code was submitted in feb, I guess there is a monthly code now--which is also nice, because I know that they are updating regularly)

Also PMed Danny the link to the bulbs, and he says that their Trex bulbs listed are the ones I need. Am getting 100 W same as always. The reptile UV bulbs are going into the mail tomorrow.

nrfitchett4

5 Year Member
http://www.reptiledirect.com/powersunuvmercuryvaporlamp.aspx
they have the powersun for 39.00 here. They have always treated me right. My powersun has been going for 11months straight, set on a timer for 12hr a day for the ig. I would love to be able to get a reading.
The ones on this website are the newer ones (the packaging is different). They are supposed to have tested better than the old ones (more consistent output) and one was still giving off uvb 2.5 years later! This is the only one that I have owned, so I cannot comment on the others. Just that I have had a great experience with the Powersun.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
Reptile Depot is good, i go to there store when ever i'm in chats worth which is like 20 mins from me. I love my Trex bulb, it gives off the same light a regula 100wat bulb gives off, Its also a very big bulb though, I went to Home depot and got a shop light thats rated at 350watts and its deep enough for the bulb, and it cost 8$

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Was it like, a silver dome, or a black one? I am a big baby when It comes to aesthietics, and I was wondering if the hardware places carry the black ceramic coated ones.

Millerlite

10 Year Member!
Southern Calif.
its silver, the black ones you would have to get from a petshop, they are also more expensive though .

Status
Not open for further replies.