Mega-Ray Mercury Vapor 100 watts Bulb height

Yossarian

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Wales
MVBs are not really reccomended around here, especially for babies, they have a desiccating effect on their shells and can contribute to pyramidal growth. Height above the tort comes down to UV intensity as well as heat with an MVB, with a heat lamp only you should place it at a height were the basking spot reaches the correct temps. Most people put the heat lamp toward one end of the enclosure but yours is very long so you have some flexibility with where you mount it.

Reactions: Tom

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree with not using a mvb. They used to be the best bulb too use. Members have since found that they cause pyramiding even in a high humidity closed chamber.
If you can't return the bulb and fixture you keep it as an emergency back up.
Use instead a tube florescent for uvb.
Be sure to read member Tom threads on raising a sulcata and closed chamber housing.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
How high should I put my mvb for a baby hatchling sulcata?.
Hello and welcome to the forum. You have gotten old incorrect care info. Most babies don't survive when not cared for correctly. Do you have night heat? The baby needs it dark at night, but not below 80 degrees ever.

Give this a read and come back with any questions:

Diego Alvarado

Los Angeles/California
I agree with not using a mvb. They used to be the best bulb too use. Members have since found that they cause pyramiding even in a high humidity closed chamber.
If you can't return the bulb and fixture you keep it as an emergency back up.
Use instead a tube florescent for uvb.
Be sure to read member Tom threads on raising a sulcata and closed chamber housing.
Thankyou, Which brand do you recommend? For the fixture and the Tube florescent