Mega-Ray 100W MV bulb for my Sulcata ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.

bdoyle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Hamilton, Ontario, CAN
Well, its been 4 weeks since I removed the Bad Repti-Glo 10.0 bulb and put in a ReptiSUN 5.0 bulb in its place.

His eyes have healed up, but he's still soooooooo lethargic
He had worms, 2nd dose of worm medication is being done today. So thats taken care of

Because I know the 5.0 bulb isnt strong enough, it was just a temporary means to ease him back into health with "some" uvb exposure..

I've ordered a Mega-Ray 100Watt UVB/Heat flood bulb from http://www.reptileuv.com

Seems that this is the better Mercury Vapor bulb on the market right now.

So It'll be 5 or 6 days till I get it.

When I take freddy outside , he livens right up and roams around, really loves to walk over the crushed cocoa shells around my mulberry tree... he'll do laps for an hour straight stopping to eat grass along the fringes of it.

but when he's back in his home its back to sleep for him...

So that tells me he's not getting the lighting or airflow he needs inside his enclosure. Since he's so happy outside and so unhappy inside.

im going to add a small computer Fan at an angle along the top of his enclosure to give a little more airflow ( since i have a screen lid this should improve the air circulation )

and then this new MV UVB bulb will hopefully stimulate him more then this 5.0 bulb is.

ahh the long road to making a sick tortoise healthy.. its persistant work...

But i cant fault Freddy for coming into my life unhealthy. can only fault the guy who owned him prior.

can only hope this is going to help him

Crazy1

10 Year Member!
Inland Empire, CA
Blair, Thanks for the update on Freddy I was begining to get worried cause I hadn't heard anything. I am glad to hear he is doing well and on the road to recovery. I currently use T-Rex MV uvb lamps and am planning on changing them out to Mega Ray this winter as I have heard they are a good bulb and the price has dropped drastically now. I had my greeks under the florecent ones but I think they are thriveing under the MV bulb now.
Please keep us updated on Freddy. He was one lucky tort when he found you.

bdoyle

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Hamilton, Ontario, CAN
Yea , all in all he is improving..
but he's still one sick tort.

very little activity and his appetite is very limited..

We have a cold spell right now, cant get him outside n' it seems the only time he has interest in eating is when he's out there.

Hoping the warm weather comes back soon and the new light stimulates him to eat while indoors.

Ughh. Its still a worry but im doin what I can.

Status
Not open for further replies.