Meet Tootsie from Chicago

Status
Not open for further replies.

samercer

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Elgin, IL
Hi my names Samantha. I recently got a Russian tortoise. She was purchased on black Friday from petsmart as a surprise anniversary present for me. " i now know this is not a preferred source for getting a tortoise but i know my boyfriend did his best". My tortoises name is tootsie. Since getting her my poor Tootsie has had a ruff start. The lovely salesperson at petsmart gave us a 150 watt bulb for both her day and night light.............had i not gone online to do further research into her care i would of cooked my poor tortoise because of petsmarts employees instructions. needless to say i went back and returned the bulbs to get lower wattage bulbs which are working perfectly! we also built a special bracket to hold her uvb or whatever it is bulb closer to her because alot of the research ive done feels the bulb is ineffective when far away. Tootsie is in a glass fish tank "breeder tank?" but she has alot of substrate and we took apart old computers and wired the fans up to old cellphone charger cords so she gets a good airflow thru her tank with very little wind on her from the fans. she cant live outside because i live in Illinois but in summer i wll be taking her outside and probably build her a home for outside. im currently having a hard time keeping her tank at 60% humidity but it is super dry in the house so im sure that doesn't help. any ideas? ive been trying to keep tinfoil on top of her tank but it doesn't seem to help that much :(. Tootsie seems to be very scared of me. she burrows herself in her subsrate alot and wont eat unless shes sure im not in the room. she also does this weird bobbing thing? I assume shes probably very stressed out from being brought home and then having her tank be so darn hot. the night we first had her she slept in her water dish! She does seem to enjoy listening to the disney station on pandora tho! and i caught her with her head fully extended out of her shell yesterday so im hoping she will be okay in a few days. Does it typically take a long time for tortoises to become accustomed to you? i keep trying to feed her fresh veggies but she just hides and seems to prefer the dehydrated stuff she was fed at petsmart.
I also have two yorkies "subie and armani" Armani has epilepsy.neither are allowed in tootsies room but i was wondering if she can hear their barking? maybe shes scared of their noise too and thats stressing her out as well.

Attachments

• 3682_10152282239765697_1795052324_n.jpg
    3682_10152282239765697_1795052324_n.jpg
    74.5 KB · Views: 34

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
Hello and welcome...glad you did your homework and took the bulb back. And did your research. Just give your tort some time to adjust. Things will get better..here is a care sheet for you...hope it helps....
http://russiantortoise.net/

luvpetz27

5 Year Member
Ohio USA
Hi and welcome!! She will get used to you. It just takes time.
It took awhile for mine to get used to me!! Good luck to you and glad
you found this forum!! :)

theTurtleRoom

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lititz, PA
Russians can be neat tortoises. Those gotten at the pet stores are typically wild caught, recently imported. I would have it checked for parasites, and if necessary, get it anti-parasite meds. You'll also find it'll take a little bit to get used to you, since it was wild, then jammed in a crate with a bunch of others, then shipped, etc, etc.

Glass can also freak them out. They don't understand the concept of beeing able to see places they can't go (especially those recently wild). No need to get a different tank, just cover all the sides with a dark paper. There are lots of creative ways to house tortoises. Just peruse the forums, and you should get lots of great ideas.

samercer

5 Year Member
Elgin, IL
theTurtleRoom said:
Russians can be neat tortoises. Those gotten at the pet stores are typically wild caught, recently imported. I would have it checked for parasites, and if necessary, get it anti-parasite meds. You'll also find it'll take a little bit to get used to you, since it was wild, then jammed in a crate with a bunch of others, then shipped, etc, etc.

Glass can also freak them out. They don't understand the concept of beeing able to see places they can't go (especially those recently wild). No need to get a different tank, just cover all the sides with a dark paper. There are lots of creative ways to house tortoises. Just peruse the forums, and you should get lots of great ideas.
I have hello kitty wall paper on her tank as far as she can see "on the outside" :) so shes not running into the glass. my boyfriend loves projects so we plan on building something for her soon. We just bought our first home and its 100 years old so were run into some electrical issues. were hoping to remodel the attic and make a suspended tortoise box for her that would essentially run the length of the house. but we have to wait a year after its remodeled to see what the temperatures get like all year long.

Jacqui

Wanna be raiser of Lemon Drop tortoises
10 Year Member!
A Land Far Away...
Hi and welcome! Sounds like some great plans in the works. I too have houses older then 100 years, so I know the wiring issues. :D I mean what tortoise person can function with having only one 2plex outlets in a room? :D

TORTOISEMAN1

5 Year Member
FL
Welcome!:tort::tort: very cute and so is your tort :p lol!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome :) I also live in Chicago, Northside. The dogs bark won't bother your tort. Just needs some adjusting time and your tort will come around and realize the hand that brings the food isn't all that bad:)

Status
Not open for further replies.