Meet Tom's Leopard Tortoises

CourtneyG

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Auburn, Alabama
You have very lovely mountain torts, the wild one have the natural pyramiding look to them so they really live up to their names and look like "mini" walking mountains.

FLGirl41

5 Year Member
They're really beautiful. Wonderful job keeping them so healthy. :)

ElfDa

5 Year Member
Sammamish, WA
Tom said:
The key to raising them smooth is to simulate the hot wet humid african rainy season. Calcium supplementation, diet and UV play secondary roles.

Soak hatchlings for about 45 minutes every day, keep the temp no lower than 80 anywhere in the enclosure, offer a humid hide, keep humidity around 80%, offer a 100 degree basking site for 12 hours a day, and you will produce a smooth leopard. Its nearly impossible to accomplish the above without using a closed chamber.

So... I'm lookin' at the redfoot set up thread that talks about using the heat rope, and it's sounding pretty good about now.

How do you keep the temp up in their soaks?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
LeoCraze said:
Tom, I saw this page using your image and some pictures of other users in the forum. Wanted to alert you to see if they had permission or not.

https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?...25216829.99371.408631545858607&type=1&theater

I don't do Facebook, but that is my photo. That tortoise is named number 14. I hatched it myself and its younger than my other SA leopards. Whose page is that, what are they posting that pic for, and are they claiming its theirs?

ElfDa said:
Tom said:
The key to raising them smooth is to simulate the hot wet humid african rainy season. Calcium supplementation, diet and UV play secondary roles.

Soak hatchlings for about 45 minutes every day, keep the temp no lower than 80 anywhere in the enclosure, offer a humid hide, keep humidity around 80%, offer a 100 degree basking site for 12 hours a day, and you will produce a smooth leopard. Its nearly impossible to accomplish the above without using a closed chamber.

So... I'm lookin' at the redfoot set up thread that talks about using the heat rope, and it's sounding pretty good about now.

How do you keep the temp up in their soaks?

I soak them in a warm room, their warm enclosure, or outside on a warm day.

LeoCraze

5 Year Member
They use it to promote their page and do not credit you or your method. I'm not sure about the page, but looks very fishy (some images such as profile pictures show fake plastic/resin models and pass them as real radiated tortoises), broken English, illegal torts, and is listed as a pet supplies facebook page.

yagyujubei

5 Year Member
Amish Country
I doubt there's anything nefarious going on. It appears to me to just be a collection of tortoise pics. Toms are in great company, there are some fantastic radiateds and plowshares. Looks like mostly Asian tortoises.

jshaw9_

5 Year Member
Hi tom,

are you able to tell the difference between a PB and a PP circa 5years of age? Photo below, cheers jay.
ImageUploadedByTortForum1381957223.990158.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
jshaw9_ said:
Hi tom,
are you able to tell the difference between a PB and a PP circa 5years of age? Photo below, cheers jay.

Not really. No way to tell if its pure or a hybrid just by looking. It does show some pp traits.

diamondbp

10 Year Member!
@Tom Flashback time. Could you indicate which of the individuals pictured in the earlier part of this thread ended up female? And which ended up male? I have several that are around the size that these once were and I would like to compare plastron shots since you now know what sex they are. THanks again for everything