Meet the new Greek(?) from Colorado

Verloc

Location (City and/or State)
Aurora, CO
Hello! Greetings from Aurora, CO. Just dropping a quick thread to introduce myself and Bismarck (aka Bizzy). Bismarck was a rescue, so we're not 100% positive on species or age, but the vet said he was a male Greek tortoise, probably 20-30 years old. Someone found the poor little guy wandering around in the cold and brought him in to the vet hospital. One thing led to another, and now the household menagerie includes a chelonian.

Bizzy is currently residing in a temporary enclosure until I can get him a proper table built. I'm looking forward to combing these forums for general tips and tricks on tortoise husbandry, hopefully a specific ID of Bizzy's species, and ideas on design and construction of tortoise adventure parks, both indoor and outdoor. Rather enjoying my first tortoise experience, it's rather like having a zen garden where one of the rocks moves around and likes raspberries. I put a web cam on Bizzy's enclosure so I can keep an eye on him during the day. BizzyCam has become a favorite among friends and coworkers :)IMG-0327.JPG

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome!

Can you post better pictures? Bizzy sort of looks like a leopard tortoise in this picture.

Verloc

Aurora, CO
Thanks Yvonne! I will definitely get some better quality pictures tonight and post them.

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
Welcome to you and Bizzy. He's adorable and I do believe he is one very lucky tortoise as well!

Verloc

Aurora, CO
Got a few more shots of Bizzy. He'd already parked himself for the night so I didn't want to disturb the little guy too much. IMG-0331.JPG IMG-0332.JPG

RosemaryDW

5 Year Member
Newport Coast, CA
Welcome to the forum!

I agree about tortoises creating a zen state for us humans; I can’t wait for mine to come out of hibernation and start tooling around.

Verloc

Aurora, CO
Yup. Leopard tortoise.
Thanks Yvonne! Just for my own edification, how do you differentiate species on appearance like that? Markings? Shape of the shell and scutes? Configuration of the plastron? I have a ton I need to learn.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks Yvonne! Just for my own edification, how do you differentiate species on appearance like that? Markings? Shape of the shell and scutes? Configuration of the plastron? I have a ton I need to learn.
Basically from his shell color. But leopards also have distinctive markings right above their nares that distinguishes them from other species - two oblong circles next to each other.

Leopard-Tortoise-web-620_0.jpg

It's more noticeable here on this baby:

24806623-leopard-tortoise-stigmochelys-pardalis-baby.jpg

After looking at many, many pictures and tortoises, it will come naturally to you eventually.