Meet our adopted Leopard tortoise

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Virginia
I’m just getting to see this and I’m thrilled you have gotten things going right. Both your tortoises are beautiful. I really love the light blonde colors on some of these Leopards. I’m blessed with mine. If your hand is not huge your Ga and my Douglas look about the same size with Ga possibly being just a bit bigger. I have big hands for a woman.
Douglas looks small to me because in my heart he’s just a baby.
I hope you keep us posted with updates and those pictures. I’ve went nuts taking pictures and videos. I send them to my best friend that’s about 60 miles from me and she’s on this journey with me. I love to watch them eat. I’m working on my enclosure and humidity too.
I have so much to learn.
Thank you! I like her coloring as well. I was a bit worried about the pyramiding she already had when I got her, but she seems to be doing better. As for the size, I think my hands are pretty average sized for a woman, lol, but who knows. My leopard Agbienna is 8 inches now if that helps for comparing Douglas in length. I'm definitely still learning too, but have really enjoyed finally having tortoises. ( I mean to keep updates, although I clearly missed my usual monthly one for Agbienna this month, lol and poor Otsokrikri I haven't posted as much ? . We have a RES as well and I am getting one more tortoise in the spring that I'm very excited about).

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
I’m just getting to see this and I’m thrilled you have gotten things going right. Both your tortoises are beautiful. I really love the light blonde colors on some of these Leopards. I’m blessed with mine. If your hand is not huge your Ga and my Douglas look about the same size with Ga possibly being just a bit bigger. I have big hands for a woman.
Douglas looks small to me because in my heart he’s just a baby.
I hope you keep us posted with updates and those pictures. I’ve went nuts taking pictures and videos. I send them to my best friend that’s about 60 miles from me and she’s on this journey with me. I love to watch them eat. I’m working on my enclosure and humidity too.
I have so much to learn.
Oh and just in case, I switched my plans to do the enclosure I originally posted about, and followed the wood one that MarkW84 shared a few years back as a guideline for mine. My husband and I put it together, though nowhere near as nice as his.

Here's a link to that:

Reactions: Ink

Beachtherapy

Tennessee
Thank you! I like her coloring as well. I was a bit worried about the pyramiding she already had when I got her, but she seems to be doing better. As for the size, I think my hands are pretty average sized for a woman, lol, but who knows. My leopard Agbienna is 8 inches now if that helps for comparing Douglas in length. I'm definitely still learning too, but have really enjoyed finally having tortoises. ( I mean to keep updates, although I clearly missed my usual monthly one for Agbienna this month, lol and poor Otsokrikri I haven't posted as much ? . We have a RES as well and I am getting one more tortoise in the spring that I'm very excited about).
It’s very hard to not ?????

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
Weighed Agbienaa yesterday and she was exactly 4lbs. She is also now 9 inches long. I realize she is probably still a little to young, but does it look like she actually may be female?

Attachments

• 35D856EB-68BB-4C26-8771-6906C97F6204.jpeg
    35D856EB-68BB-4C26-8771-6906C97F6204.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 35
  • 5CE15361-B393-4742-9646-49AE2C7FC4D5.jpeg
    5CE15361-B393-4742-9646-49AE2C7FC4D5.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 38
  • 9316274D-A3D5-4823-B7D4-237CA8DFE72C.jpeg
    9316274D-A3D5-4823-B7D4-237CA8DFE72C.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 36
  • D2254A8A-11AE-48C7-B81D-C6A105181EA0.jpeg
    D2254A8A-11AE-48C7-B81D-C6A105181EA0.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 34
Reactions: Ink

Beachtherapy

Tennessee
I found a great picture of a leopard female tail. Douglas is stunted from 2 years of not getting what he needed. I got him October 9 at 447.92 grams and 5” long

1/31/21 he weighed 729 grams and 6” long.

But I really wanted to know if he was a real boy. He is because he’s showed me quite often. He loves being sprayed with very warm water and me rubbing pretty much all over.

but before I knew u thought he was a girl because to me his tail is story compared to many other kinds. A red foot has a berry long tail.
but finally his ting tail grew where the tip did go under the butt Shute.

here are pictures I found of a leopard where you can really see the difference.
I believe your baby is a boy which you should know soon during bath soaks and spraying. The lighter is Douglas and him a little older where his tail got long enough to tuck

the darker is leopard female I found on line and that’s a very short tail but you can see big difference in the v and u shapes. I stopped researching when he told me he really was a Douglas.
I liked it very much because the males are smaller than the females. I’m unsure when their bottom shell starts to concave. He’s supposed to be going on 3 and with not growing properly it probably will take longer.
Also plus for me is never worry about eggs and the trouble they can cause.

I think your baby is so wonderfully BEAUTIFUL??
85739DDB-63CB-4D0C-A69E-A8F2BA5B6245.jpeg324D5B45-39C3-4E99-A994-9AF2A0C543FC.jpegBCBE7F14-9A23-4C27-AB97-821AE2483A53.jpeg

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
This ais my boy born December 2018. He has flashed me so there is no question he's a boy.

Attachments

• 20210207_145127.jpg
    20210207_145127.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 32
  • 20210207_145132.jpg
    20210207_145132.jpg
    1.4 MB · Views: 32
  • 20210207_145219.jpg
    20210207_145219.jpg
    2.1 MB · Views: 31

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
I found a great picture of a leopard female tail. Douglas is stunted from 2 years of not getting what he needed. I got him October 9 at 447.92 grams and 5” long

But I really wanted to know if he was a real boy. He is because he’s showed me quite often. He loves being sprayed with very warm water and me rubbing pretty much all over.

but before I knew u thought he was a girl because to me his tail is story compared to many other kinds. A red foot has a berry long tail.

I believe your baby is a boy which you should know soon during bath soaks and spraying. The lighter is Douglas and him a little older where his tail got long enough to tuck

the darker is leopard female I found on line and that’s a very short tail but you can see big difference in the v and u shapes. I stopped researching when he told me he really was a Douglas.
I liked it very much because the males are smaller than the females. I’m unsure when their bottom shell starts to concave. He’s supposed to be going on 3 and with not growing properly it probably will take longer.

View attachment 317552View attachment 317553View attachment 317555
[/QUOTE

View attachment 317552View attachment 317553View attachment 317555
Thanks! I admit, I still can’t really see the difference with U and Y, I have been able to see a difference more where it looks like a handlebar shape for males. I’ve seen a few examples on the forum. But yeah, I was starting to think maybe I have a male. I’ve had no flashing at all and she loves her soaks. I guess time will tell.?

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
This ais my boy born December 2018. He has flashed me so there is no question he's a boy.
Thanks, I think I can see it a little more on yours. My leopard is 3 years and the first owner got her Dec. 2017, a few months after the hatch date. How long is your leopard? Just curious.

maureen allenza

5 Year Member
Hello, I just picked her up a few hours ago. The previous owner needed to rehome her reptiles and had been trying to find a place for this Leopard. She is 2 1/2 years old and the original owner got her as a hatchling in December of 2017.
We are constructing a closed enclosure for her similar to one like I saw on Michael Scott’s page: Leopardtortoises.com. Is this ok for a two year old? I haven’t seen any posts for housing a juvenile. I was also starting an outdoor for my Hermann’s, but I think I’ll change directions and make it for this Leopard. I’m not sure if you can see from the picture, but does her beak look chipped?
Her original owner was a very kind woman and was very sad to have to rehome her. I can see though that she was housed on some older information and has quite a lot of pyramiding. I hope I can give her a better home with help from the forum.

View attachment 289833View attachment 289834View attachment 289835View attachment 289836View attachment 289838
Good luck to you! She is one gorgeous tort! I wish you all many years of health and happiness together!

Jan A

Boulder, CO
I don't think I'm coming back as a tortoise in the next life if you're going to look at my tail section all the time. Or if I do, it's one of the big 3 so I get too heavy for you to lift me.....Seriously, beautiful torts. You have all done great!

Blackdog1714

5 Year Member
Richmond, VA
I don't think I'm coming back as a tortoise in the next life if you're going to look at my tail section all the time. Or if I do, it's one of the big 3 so I get too heavy for you to lift me.....Seriously, beautiful torts. You have all done great!
My boy tells me the same thing when I do! I can barely one hand him pretty soon it will be two hands only!

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
Agbienaa has now been with us 11 months. She weighed in at 4 lbs 9.8 oz today.

Attachments

• E8E6B7F8-E098-4BD1-9DB1-107B51FC714B.jpeg
    E8E6B7F8-E098-4BD1-9DB1-107B51FC714B.jpeg
    1.7 MB · Views: 25

OkAdiza

Tortoise Club
Virginia
Today marks one year having Agbienaa with us!!!! ???
She came weighing 1lb 6 oz, 6 inches long and today weighed 4 lbs 12.2 oz, and is 9 inches long. Her original owner sent me the first pic when she was a hatchling Dec.23, 2017. Second picture is when I got her last year April 6, 2020, and last two pictures from today. It’s been a joy having her (well....not sure it’s a her still, but you get the point).673A42C2-A3B0-4A77-B4D3-8982018F50C6.jpeg

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Crangrats and happy Birthday A!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club