Meet Moses

Status
Not open for further replies.

tortugahill

5 Year Member
Hello,this is our aldadra, Moses. We have had him since Sep 2007 when he weighed about a pound. Now he's 30 pounds. We are in Va and he spends from May until Oct outside. This will be his last year in the house. By fall we'll have renovated a 12x30 shed to house all of our torts during the winter.

Attachments

• IMG_1038.JPG
    IMG_1038.JPG
    549.2 KB · Views: 114

dmarcus

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Las Vegas, NV
Moses is a great looking Aldabra tortoise...What other species of torts do you have?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi Charlie:

Whoa, baby!!! Moses is getting to be quite a handful! What a pretty tortoise.

Don't be such a stranger. We love to hear from you and see your pictures.

tortugahill

5 Year Member
Thanks all. We have 9 redfoot, 3 elongated, 3 manoria e.p. ,1 leopard , 2 sulcata and Moses. I started with 1 redfoot in 1978 which I still have.
This will probably be the last summer I can "cuddle" Moses. He's growing fast!

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
Hey Charlie, Moses looks great sir. Good to see you posting.

DAV46

5 Year Member
Hey Charlie let's start a Aldabra Hugging thread! Here is me and Squirt!
Greg your next...let's see some Adult Aladabra hugs and remember rule #1 is all 4 feet have to be off the ground!

Attachments

• squirt 5.15.11.jpg
    squirt 5.15.11.jpg
    138.2 KB · Views: 51

GeoTerraTestudo

5 Year Member
Broomfield, Colorado
I have read that giant island tortoises (Aldabras and Galapagos) need special iodine supplements, or else they develop goiters. This is supposed to be because, on the islands they come from, the soil is derived from iodine-rich volcanic rock, so all the plants have high levels of iodine in them. Is all of this true?

muddoc

5 Year Member
South Louisiana
Great pic Charlie. I love the name. Moses looks to be doing great.

Hey DAV46, I'll play too. When I get home this evening I'll get a pic of mine for the hugging thread (although mine are only about 5-6 lbs each).

DeanS

SULCATA OASIS
10 Year Member!
SoCal
Very nice...Welcome Charlie (and Moses)! I am looking forward to the Aldabra-hugging thread! :p

ALDABRAMAN

KEEPER AT HEART
10 Year Member!
SW Forida
DAV46 said:
Hey Charlie let's start a Aldabra Hugging thread! Here is me and Squirt!
Greg your next...let's see some Adult Aladabra hugs and remember rule #1 is all 4 feet have to be off the ground!

:), ONLY IF I COULD LIFT JUST ONE, LOL....

tortoises101

5 Year Member
Ontario, Canada
GeoTerraTestudo said:
I have read that giant island tortoises (Aldabras and Galapagos) need special iodine supplements, or else they develop goiters. This is supposed to be because, on the islands they come from, the soil is derived from iodine-rich volcanic rock, so all the plants have high levels of iodine in them. Is all of this true?

While I'm in the favor of replicating nature in captivity, I'm hesitant on iodine supplements. First of all, we don't know the iodine content of the plants in the wild. The Seychelles are different archipelago from the Galapagos which also means different plant species and iodine levels. A lot of the plants native to the Galapagos/Seychelles also are not found in captive tortoise diets and their nutritional value remains a mystery to many of us. Second of all, captive aldabras/Galapagos are always CB animals and probably never had a lot of exposure to iodine. It does sound like an interesting theory, but the risks outweigh it.

Status
Not open for further replies.