Meet Kronos!

CandyApple

Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
We got our baby red foot last Sunday at a reptile expo. We were told he was 11 weeks but a Facebook group informed us he looks more like 4 weeks. We have him in a 40 gallon glass tank running a UVB bulb on a timer and a CHE but I plan to replace the bulb with the long tube kind and I need to cover the top to help hold humidity. He's on a mixture of cypress mulch and a little spaghnum moss. He's got a rather large shell shaped hide and I just added smaller Terra cotta pot hides in the corners where he seems to like to dig down and sleep. I also have Terra cotta saucers for water and a food dish.

He's eating well, he had wax worms at the expo last week and half a blueberry yesterday and he's been eating a mix of plantain, grass, dandelion and clover from our untreated yard and a grocery store mix of mustard, collard and turnip greens. He seems to have a healthy appetite. We've been soaking him daily in very shallow luke warm water.

I'd like opinions on what I'm doing right or wrong and what I can do to improve his diet. I'd like to maybe set him up a kiddy pool outdoor enclosure where we can take him out and monitor him while he's little and eventually I'd like to build an indoor and outdoor enclosure. We live in Nebraska and plan to move back to Florida in five years or so where he can spend most of his time outside.

I'd also like to know what plants I can add to his enclosure. Will he try to eat fake ones? Do I have to grow live ones from seed or are store bought ones safe? What substrate would I use for live plants that's safe?

I look forward to learning a lot from you all and I hope my new family member lives a very long happy life20190609_135330.jpeg20190611_132009.jpeg

MPappagallo

Myrtle Beach, SC
We got our baby red foot last Sunday at a reptile expo. We were told he was 11 weeks but a Facebook group informed us he looks more like 4 weeks. We have him in a 40 gallon glass tank running a UVB bulb on a timer and a CHE but I plan to replace the bulb with the long tube kind and I need to cover the top to help hold humidity. He's on a mixture of cypress mulch and a little spaghnum moss. He's got a rather large shell shaped hide and I just added smaller Terra cotta pot hides in the corners where he seems to like to dig down and sleep. I also have Terra cotta saucers for water and a food dish.

He's eating well, he had wax worms at the expo last week and half a blueberry yesterday and he's been eating a mix of plantain, grass, dandelion and clover from our untreated yard and a grocery store mix of mustard, collard and turnip greens. He seems to have a healthy appetite. We've been soaking him daily in very shallow luke warm water.

I'd like opinions on what I'm doing right or wrong and what I can do to improve his diet. I'd like to maybe set him up a kiddy pool outdoor enclosure where we can take him out and monitor him while he's little and eventually I'd like to build an indoor and outdoor enclosure. We live in Nebraska and plan to move back to Florida in five years or so where he can spend most of his time outside.

I'd also like to know what plants I can add to his enclosure. Will he try to eat fake ones? Do I have to grow live ones from seed or are store bought ones safe? What substrate would I use for live plants that's safe?

I look forward to learning a lot from you all and I hope my new family member lives a very long happy lifeView attachment 274806View attachment 274808
What a cutie! I know you will enjoy getting to know each other. There is a ton of great info here, as well as abunch of folks that are really experienced with all the different types of tortoises. You might want to look under "Tortoise Species" at the top of the site and read all you can about your redfoot. I am sure there are a lot of great tips there! Have fun!

Ray--Opo

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Palm Bay Fl
Welcome what a great looking redfoot!
Go to species and find your species. Read all the info there about redfoots and ask all the questions you need.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome to the Forum!

TammyJ

5 Year Member
Jamaica
I guess by now you suspect that he is quite cute.
Welcome and all the best with the little darling. He is beautiful!

Lyn W

5 Year Member
UK
Hi and welcome - you have a very photogenic little one there!