Meet grandpa Joe

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Northern California
Grandpa Joe come to us in December 2017 just a little guy! I have not done a great job of logging hes growth thus far so I'm starting this thread in hopes it will help me do a better job! With any luck someone will enjoy it as well! He settled in fast and started growing like a weed!
image.jpg
This is grandpa Joe the week we got him he was 4 and 3/4 inches an 351grams owning an Aldabra has been a long term dream of mine so we are very exited!

image.jpg

This is him in about February he was in the 600 gram range and about 6 inches

I took measurements a couple weeks ago and he was 900 grams and 7 inches long! I can not believe how fast Aldaras grow! Makes my other tortoises look like slow pokes haha

I took these pictures the other night he is still eating like a shelled pig and growing fast! I love watching the growth lines.image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

The weather here is changing fast! we will be able to get some outside time very soon!

I hope some of you will enjoy fallowing along on our progress and Ill do my best to keep it interesting!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Congrats he looks great. How old was he when you got him? Is he one of the imports from Chris of Toucan Jungle? Love the last pic, so pretty.

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
Congrats he looks great. How old was he when you got him? Is he one of the imports from Chris of Toucan Jungle? Love the last pic, so pretty.
Thank you! I don't know exactly how old he was 8 months a year? maybe someone will have a better guess?
Yes he is an import farm raised but no not from Chris but from Sam at Florida iguana and tortoise dealing with Sam was a pleasure if anyone is wondering about that

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thank you! I don't know exactly how old he was 8 months a year? maybe someone will have a better guess?
Yes he is an import farm raised but no not from Chris but from Sam at Florida iguana and tortoise dealing with Sam was a pleasure if anyone is wondering about that
I see. I assumed Chris seeing your both in CA. I didn't realize Sam had imports. I thought he bred all his. Sam does have a good rep.

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
I see. I assumed Chris seeing your both in CA. I didn't realize Sam had imports. I thought he bred all his. Sam does have a good rep.
Ya I did contact Chris but he told me 4 inch Aldabas were very hard for him to get these days because other markets don't have the 4 inch law so most all the babies are sold before they get to 4 inches
Sam has a long standing relationship with the farm in the Seychelles that he uses so he seems to regularly have young one available

NorCal tortoise guy

5 Year Member
Northern California
4/16/2018
Weigh in 1250 grams!!
This guys is growing so fast I still can't believe it! He has yet to pay any mind to his cuttle bone so I'm getting calcium powder on order. His diet is almost completely weeds from my yard. I've tried him on grass but as with most babies he dose not eat it as well and broad leaf weeds. He has also been given some spring mix and sweet peppers once in a great while.