Meet Ethel

Kasey cauliflower

5 Year Member
Don't worry guys! The first moment she stepped foot on the ramp I freaked and took it down! I'm working on a safer way to incorporate the second level! Until then no ramp!
I just used a regular thermometer, heading to the store today to get a digital one that measures humidity too! I think I saw on here that they have them at Walmart?

Kasey cauliflower

5 Year Member
Welcome to the Forum, Kasey!

I don't like that steep ramp with no side railing. That looks like an accident waiting to happen.

Do you still have the box your light came in? We'd need to see it to give you the correct info. This is the 100 watt bulb that I use:

View attachment 183230

...and it has to hand straight down, not at an angle. Otherwise you shorten the life of the bulb.

Then for night time heat you can use one of these:

View attachment 183231

Both of those need to be placed in a fixture that has a ceramic base, not a Bakelite base, as they both get pretty darned hot.

Kasey cauliflower

5 Year Member
Oh my gosh this is so helpful!
I'm heading to the store today, and I'll look for the bulbs you posted above!
I don't have the box for the bulb I purchased but it didn't look like those!
Oh and I took down the ramp within the first few minutes of her being in there, don't know what I was thinking, I'm always trying to be fancy! Lol!

Kasey cauliflower

5 Year Member
Ok I did some major renovations on the enclosure and I think it's much better! I'll snap a photo tomorrow to get your feedback on the new situation. All I want is for her to be happy and healthy, and the information you all provide is so so valuable! The pet store folks don't know SQWAT!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
Don't worry guys! The first moment she stepped foot on the ramp I freaked and took it down! I'm working on a safer way to incorporate the second level! Until then no ramp!
I just used a regular thermometer, heading to the store today to get a digital one that measures humidity too! I think I saw on here that they have them at Walmart?
And Lowes and the Home Depot.

Lyn W

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
UK
Ok I did some major renovations on the enclosure and I think it's much better! I'll snap a photo tomorrow to get your feedback on the new situation. All I want is for her to be happy and healthy, and the information you all provide is so so valuable! The pet store folks don't know SQWAT!
Hi Kasey and welcome.
You're right - most pet shops are just in it for profit and don't worry about after care.
They don't point out that coiled or cfl bulbs have been known to damage torts eyes, and while some people say its not an issue, you wouldn't know if you have a fixed bulb or not until its too late - so why gamble with your torts eyes? I would always check here that something is safe before spending hard earned cash at pet stores.
There's lots to learn but this is a great place to learn from very experienced keepers.