Mediterranean Tortoise - heating and lighting

Status
Not open for further replies.

Alliepan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
An elderly relative is giving me her Mediterranean Tortoise, as she is going into a carehome and can't have it.

I know nothing! A friend is giving me an Exo Terra viv, so I thought I could put it in there? I know it needs UV lighting/heating, but what kind? There are so many UV bulbs out there. Do I need a 2.0, or a 4.0 or a 10.0? And whats the difference? Does it bask, and what king of bulb do I use?

I am not sure how well this tortoise has been cared for which is why I am happy to have it, but I want to do everything right.

Heating and lighting - please help!!! If someone could say, this bulb or that lamp it would be very helpful.

egyptiandan

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
USA
Hi,
Viv's aren't the best enclosures for Mediterranean tortoises. You need to have an open topped large box type enclosure, usually called a tortoise table :D
It would help greatly if we knew what species of Med. tortoise you were getting as that can change slightly the conditions needed to keep them. If you can post clear pictures of the carapace (top of the shell) and plastron (bottom of the shell) we can tell you what species it is.
Yes Med. tortoises do bask, so a combined UV/heat bulb for basking is the best. There are a few on the market, T-rex, Megaray. You will also need a regular florscent bulb for just general lighting.
If you do some searches for enclosures, lamps, bulbs, etc. on the forum you will find lots of good information.

Danny

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Arkansas
I think Danny meant to say Vivs arent the best for Mediterranean Tortoises ;)

Status
Not open for further replies.