Medical Emergency [emoji599][emoji217]

tortoiseplanet

Location (City and/or State)
Earth
This person has consulted me for help. Their only words were “what should I do?”. Following this graphic image:
IMG_1525642591.199533.jpg

As anyone would say I told her to take the tortoise to the vet.
Her next reply: “here we dont have any tortoise veterinarian. My heart is bleeding for my mother tortoise but i cant save her”

I’m not sure what to tell her because I’m not sure what’s wrong. Anymore information I should ask for? Anyone know what’s wrong? At this point ANYTHING helps.

daniellenc

Maryland
Warm sugar water soak immediately!! It’s his man parts and they will dry up and fall off if he can’t retract it on its own. Usually several warm sugar water soaks do the trick but it must be kept very clean and moist until he pulls it back in.

tortoiseplanet

Earth
Warm sugar water soak immediately!! It’s his man parts and they will dry up and fall off if he can’t retract it on its own. Usually several warm sugar water soaks do the trick but it must be kept very clean and moist until he pulls it back in.

Thank you, I’ve told her to do so.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
She must not let it dry out! Very important. Make a paste out of sugar and place it in it. Wrap with a wet towel. Leave the sugar on it for a while. It looks bad and probably is going to have to find a vet some place.
@Yvonne G

daniellenc

Maryland
And yeah it looks like a bad prolapse. Maybe even consulting a non reptile vet is worth it.

daniellenc

Maryland
I’ll add if the soaks aren’t working the paste of sugar can be secured to his man stuff with wet gauze but will have to be misted. @Boo628 it can happen for many reasons like mating which is most common and even while flashing. I’ve heard dehydration increases the probability of it happening but who knows. I’ve been lucky with all my reptile breeding and the males always retract it on their own within 15 minutes of copulation. Was this tortoise being bred?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
That doesn't look like a penis to me, and judging from the bloody tracks I think it's an organ - bowell. intestine???? This is an emergency, and "here we don't have tortoise veteranarian" just doesn't cut it. If they can't get this mass repositioned back inside the tortoise, then they need to do all they can to find someone that can! The tortoise will die unless they can get this back inside.

Boo628

California
I’ll add if the soaks aren’t working the paste of sugar can be secured to his man stuff with wet gauze but will have to be misted. @Boo628 it can happen for many reasons like mating which is most common and even while flashing. I’ve heard dehydration increases the probability of it happening but who knows. I’ve been lucky with all my reptile breeding and the males always retract it on their own within 15 minutes of copulation. Was this tortoise being bred?
Oh I'm asking because my sulcata let his out a few times then just stand there for a couple min like he's stuck. He doesn't move or anything just stand still like he's having a hard time or something. I just leave him alone til he retracts it then soak him. Is it normal what he's doing? Last time i saw him do that was over a week ago.

Boo628

California
That doesn't look like a penis to me, and judging from the bloody tracks I think it's an organ - bowell. intestine???? This is an emergency, and "here we don't have tortoise veteranarian" just doesn't cut it. If they can't get this mass repositioned back inside the tortoise, then they need to do all they can to find someone that can! The tortoise will die unless they can get this back inside.
That's crazy and scary

tortoiseplanet

Earth
I hope they did something. They never opened my message. I’ll let you know their next response.

tortoiseplanet

Earth

I gave you all the information I was told. Though I highly doubt this person is breeding tortoises.

tortoiseplanet

Earth
Her next message:
“she is not well . she doesn't eat anything nor drink water and she couldn't pull that organ back in. i tried to push it back in but that came out again and agian. now that thing just become dried.”

Unfortunately the worst happened, it dried. Can anything be done at this point? I think the tortoise should be put away from it’s tremendous pain. Unless anything further can be done that this person can do them self?

madbad

Sacramento, Ca
Depending on what organ/s it is a good herp vet might be able to amputate it...

I'm pretty sure I have read about vets amputating prolapsed reptile sexual organs.

I'm a newb though so don't take my advice as medical advice.

Sandy110

Kamp Kenan on YouTube has a video of Kenan caring for a prolapsed penis on his Redfoot.This should be used as a last resort. Your friends tortoise needs to be seen by a vet. They should also confine it so it cannot walk around and further injure the penis. Hope all goes well.

TechnoCheese

5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Lewisville, Texas
Kamp Kenan on YouTube has a video of Kenan caring for a prolapsed penis on his Redfoot.This should be used as a last resort. Your friends tortoise needs to be seen by a vet. They should also confine it so it cannot walk around and further injure the penis. Hope all goes well.

It’s not a penis, and it’s already dried.

Jay Bagley

Michigan
That is to bad, thank you for trying to help this tortoise, and also keeping us informed.