med spur thigh - help with substrate!!!

Princessjay

I was reading another forum and for my med spur thigh I was told a mix of sand and top soil.... I was using a coconut substrate before but I have a hatchling and she was struggling to walk on it.

If avoided the pellets, and been told hay is to drying. I'm very very confused as to what to do. I only out the sand and top soil in today and it was a disaster!!!

She's covered in the stuff, her little claws, face, even had it in her eyes!!!

I immediately took it all out and went back to coco but substrate mixed with a little hay.

What should I use?

She is 3 months old.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Southern California
Use the coco coir, but hand pack it down and give it about two weeks to "settle". No sand, no hay, no wood chips.

Some people just don't like the coir. If you are one of those, try orchid bark. Its good stiff too.

Princessjay

She struggles to walk over the coco noir. Is it ok to break it down into small pieces?

I've removed all the sand. It was not good for her. Going to try top soil with the coco.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
She struggles to walk over the coco noir. Is it ok to break it down into small pieces?

I've removed all the sand. It was not good for her. Going to try top soil with the coco.
The coir should be like powder... not chunks. :) Like that. Break it all down! :D
Make sure the soil is organic! :D

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
sorry if this is a stupid question. did you soak the choir with hot water before using it? the stuff i use looks and feels like compost only brown. when packed down its nice and flat. i believe a lot of people use organic topsoil.

Yellow Turtle01

5 Year Member
OH, USA
sorry if this is a stupid question. did you soak the choir with hot water before using it? the stuff i use looks and feels like compost only brown. when packed down its nice and flat. i believe a lot of people use organic topsoil.
Just water. No temp :) Although, hot water would probably break it down faster... o_O:)
I get coir blocks from the local hardware store, it's a real steal! 3 big blocks for 9$. :D
(In your thread, it looks like you use coir too! Best substrate ever!)

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
There are two kinds of coconut substrate...one is husks, and is in chunks, the other is a powdery form of ground up husks. It comes in a compressed brick and you have to put it in a bucket of hot water to re-hydrate it. Once it's hydrated, it is in tiny pieces, like dirt. You drain and squeeze the water out and when you put it in the habitat, you pack it down with the palm of your hand, pressing and patting so it's all packed down and more or less stable for walking on.

jeffjeff

5 Year Member
cumbria england
i never knew there was 2 types. i use the the one that looks like a brick of compressed sawdust. i couldn't find decent top soil it all had bits of plastic and crap in it. it also seemed to contain a fair amount of sand. plus i think the choir smells quite nice when you pour the hot water on it. yes i know i'm weird, the wife tells me daily lol