Me and My Tortoise

NoxidMullac

Location (City and/or State)
London
Hi my name is gabriel. I have a pet leopard tortoise and am getting a second soon.

Hi Gabriel, welcome to the Forum!
I’m from the UK and also a keeper of Leopard tortoises. Although by no means an experienced keeper - I am keen to share my personal experience with you ...

I brought two hatchling tortoises at the same time, falling into a similar trap that many new owners do that one would get lonely. I was wrong, and the reasons for this are well documented throughout this forum. The first sign I had that something was wrong was after approximately 3 months when I realised that one of my tortoises was not gaining weight. I did lots of reading (on here and elsewhere) and quickly recognised the signs of domination. After consulting with the forum, I followed the advice provided from experienced keepers and separated them. I cannot believe the difference, not only in their weight but to their behaviour and overall well-being. Both my tortoises are finally thriving. I am very fortunate that I have both the space and financial resources to accommodate two tortoises separately but I won’t lie, it’s not easy. And whilst I love them both dearly, I wish I had known what I do now and had only brought one.

Simply put, if you introduce a second tortoise you must prepare yourself to have to house them separately, and indefinitely. You cannot keep them in pairs, it is too stressful for both parties (not only for the tortoise being dominated but also for the more dominant one who is constantly having to fight for his/her territory). You may already know all this information, in which case I apologise. This is information I would have found useful at the start of my journey.

I wish you the very best which whichever decision you make. And the little one you have already is beautiful ?

1289Gabe

San Diego California
Hi Gabriel, welcome to the Forum!
I’m from the UK and also a keeper of Leopard tortoises. Although by no means an experienced keeper - I am keen to share my personal experience with you ...

I brought two hatchling tortoises at the same time, falling into a similar trap that many new owners do that one would get lonely. I was wrong, and the reasons for this are well documented throughout this forum. The first sign I had that something was wrong was after approximately 3 months when I realised that one of my tortoises was not gaining weight. I did lots of reading (on here and elsewhere) and quickly recognised the signs of domination. After consulting with the forum, I followed the advice provided from experienced keepers and separated them. I cannot believe the difference, not only in their weight but to their behaviour and overall well-being. Both my tortoises are finally thriving. I am very fortunate that I have both the space and financial resources to accommodate two tortoises separately but I won’t lie, it’s not easy. And whilst I love them both dearly, I wish I had known what I do now and had only brought one.

Simply put, if you introduce a second tortoise you must prepare yourself to have to house them separately, and indefinitely. You cannot keep them in pairs, it is too stressful for both parties (not only for the tortoise being dominated but also for the more dominant one who is constantly having to fight for his/her territory). You may already know all this information, in which case I apologise. This is information I would have found useful at the start of my journey.

I wish you the very best which whichever decision you make. And the little one you have already is beautiful ?
Thank you noxid, I will take your advice and use it. I have done some reading and heard other news like that.

1289Gabe

San Diego California
Also, does anyone know how to sex a tortoise? I think mine is male, but i can’t be sure.image.jpg
That was the plastronimage.jpg
and here is the tail.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi and welcome!

Your tortoise is way too young to be able to tell the sex yet. You'll have to wait three or four years.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi my name is gabriel. I have a pet leopard tortoise and am getting a second soon.
I think all of us here would support getting a second tortoise, but set up, run and test a second enclosure before you do. You'll need to house them separately.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Ok thanks Tom, have any suggestions?
My first inquiry would be to @Markw84 . He custom makes enclosures out of expanded PVC. They have all the heating and lighting built in. All you do is plug it in, set your timers and thermostats, and you have a perfect tortoise environment. Mark and Will @Kapidolo Farms have been working together to sell these enclosures, and Will is down in San Diego where you are. You might get lucky and find out that Will has an enclosure in stock and ready for sale. You'll also get fantastic support and advice from both Will and Mark. Further, Will had some really well started leopard tortoises for sale. You might check to see if he has any left. There are few people that I would buy a baby tortoise from. Most people just don't start them correctly. Will and Mark do.

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Hi @1289Gabe, there are three enclosures in San Diego, two of them have a 2 x 3 foot print, one has a 3 x 4 foot print, the longer dimension is the front. If you want a 2 x 6, we would just connect the two 2 x 3 together.

I can deliver, make arrangements with @Markw84 for price/payment, and any extras you might seek. I think Mark is pulling together a web page that illustrate all the enclosures and what they include and can do.

1289Gabe

San Diego California
Hi @1289Gabe, there are three enclosures in San Diego, two of them have a 2 x 3 foot print, one has a 3 x 4 foot print, the longer dimension is the front. If you want a 2 x 6, we would just connect the two 2 x 3 together.

I can deliver, make arrangements with @Markw84 for price/payment, and any extras you might seek. I think Mark is pulling together a web page that illustrate all the enclosures and what they include and can do.
Cool. I’ll look into further detail.