Me and my shells

ElsShells

Hiyaa! My names Ellie and I have 4 tortoises (2 x marginated called Shelley and Sheldon, 1 x Hermans called Shelby and 1 x Russian called Shelburt - although till recently were led to believe he was a Hermans aswell!) perhaps someone can look at his picture and confirm breed?

w6vc5.jpg

Shelby and Shelburt have been together for years, way before we got them. They had laid eggs for their previous owner but they had no way to propagate them. Shelby has just laid her first clutch since we've had her but I'm worried about the consequences of different species breeding - what could happen? Eggs are 3 weeks old being incubated at 32 degrees and around 80% humidity as were going for girls. All seems to be going ok, no smell or sign of going mouldy but just worried they won't hatch as from different breeds...

Any advice or experience of this situation would be great please

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
So you're thinking the Hermann has been bred by the Russian (yes, he's a Russian)? Well, they're both testudo, so it is quite possible.

In my opinion, species of tortoises should always be kept separate. I don't believe it's a good idea to mix species. Is the Marginated in with them too?

It is quite possible the eggs will hatch. As to if the offspring will be fertile or not, no one knows the answer to that.

ElsShells

Thanks for the reply! My other half and I have been looking at breeds tonight trying to figure out which breed Shelby is. I haven't seen one similar to her before as her shell is a solid green colour... What do you think?

2pouxzn.jpg

dgjs0n.jpg

The marginated are kept in a separate enclosure in the garden away from the other 2. It's our first go at trying to hatch eggs so hopefully we will have at least 1 baby!

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Hello and Welcome. I have no idea what species Shelby is, I'm guessing a cross of something. However, both the ones pictured could use a beak trim.

Grandpa Turtle 144

5 Year Member
Hello Ellie welcome to the TFO from AZ , USA . There is one more thing to think about female torts can carry sperm for 2-4 years . So it could be hard to fix this problem for 2-4 or 5 yrs .but good luck and have a great tort day!

Sent from my iPhone using TortForum

ElsShells

Thanks for all your replies! It would be good to find out what species Shelby is - her previous owner lost her certificates so we don't even have those to look at :( I will definitely give their beaks a trim ASAP!