Me and my babies!

chapdaab

Location (City and/or State)
Dickinson
Well i will start off by saying i am a recent lover or tortoises. I have been a lover of them for about two years. I started with my two Russians Max and Penelope, my daughter also has a forum and i guess just found out they seem to be a lot older then what the pet store had told us. We were told there were about 4 months when we got them so they would be about a year and three months now. They don't seem to have problems together as of yet, but we might separate them to see if they thrive better. I then got me a Red Foot and named this little guy Squirt. I guess i couldn't stop there and decided to get my first Sulcata and named this one Bubbles, then got three more air lifted from the Tortoise Supply in Vegas which they are great people and very helpful, these triplets we named Rolo, Pistachio and Kiwi. My red foot is in his own home and for now my sulcatas are together they are still so small so they seem to be doing well and bonding which is fun to watch. I will try and post pics my new three are about 6 weeks, bubbles is about 5 months, squirt is about 5 months as well and the Russians are about 1 year three months if the pet store was right i might post skute pics if anyone can tell from that I'm not too good with that. Thanks everyone I'm excited to see all your tortoises!!!

iAmCentrochelys sulcata

Alief
You shouldn’t be buying tortoises from Impulse. You will need to keep every single one of them in a separate enclosure from each other. I hope you decide what is best for your Tortoises & give them the correct care.

chapdaab

Dickinson
You shouldn’t be buying tortoises from Impulse. You will need to keep every single one of them in a separate enclosure from each other. I hope you decide what is best for your Tortoises & give them the correct care.
i did think before i baught and they are happy together for now they are VERY well taken care of but i thank you for your concern

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They are not happy together. It is very stressful especially for Russians and sulcatas. Seperate the russians as its 99% that the pet store was wrong about their age. Most pet store Russians are at least 5 years old if not more. The sulcatas depending on size will need to be separated soon as one or two of them if not all three will nor thrive.
Please read the care sheets for all the species you have and make changes needed. All 5 tortoises, if my counting is correct will need their own very large enclosures. 4x8 minimum for each Russian and much much larger for all the others.

chapdaab

Dickinson
They are not happy together. It is very stressful especially for Russians and sulcatas. Seperate the russians as its 99% that the pet store was wrong about their age. Most pet store Russians are at least 5 years old if not more. The sulcatas depending on size will need to be separated soon as one or two of them if not all three will nor thrive.
Please read the care sheets for all the species you have and make changes needed. All 5 tortoises, if my counting is correct will need their own very large enclosures. 4x8 minimum for each Russian and much much larger for all the others.
thank you for your advice

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Hi, and welcome!

I keep babies all together in the same enclosed enclosure, but I don't ever mix species. You have to be vigilant and if one seems to not be growing like the others, he'll need his own enclosure. Keeping babies together seems to make them eat better - competition for the food, "I'd better eat this before he does." But don't just walk away and forget them during the day. Keep your eye on them every chance you get.

Sweetpea53

CA
Maybe it wasn’t ok, but we kept our 2 sulcatas together for years with no issues. Of course we thought they were both females, as that is what we had specifically requested from the breeder. They had been incubated to be females. At about 16-18 years old, there was no question they were male/female nut still no issues. At about 20 years, they started mating, constantly. So now they are separate. The femal is currently sharing a habitat with a pair of desert tortoises and all seem to be doing fine. Keep in mind they all have very large enclosures and heated block houses.

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
Well i will start off by saying i am a recent lover or tortoises. I have been a lover of them for about two years. I started with my two Russians Max and Penelope, my daughter also has a forum and i guess just found out they seem to be a lot older then what the pet store had told us. We were told there were about 4 months when we got them so they would be about a year and three months now. They don't seem to have problems together as of yet, but we might separate them to see if they thrive better. I then got me a Red Foot and named this little guy Squirt. I guess i couldn't stop there and decided to get my first Sulcata and named this one Bubbles, then got three more air lifted from the Tortoise Supply in Vegas which they are great people and very helpful, these triplets we named Rolo, Pistachio and Kiwi. My red foot is in his own home and for now my sulcatas are together they are still so small so they seem to be doing well and bonding which is fun to watch. I will try and post pics my new three are about 6 weeks, bubbles is about 5 months, squirt is about 5 months as well and the Russians are about 1 year three months if the pet store was right i might post skute pics if anyone can tell from that I'm not too good with that. Thanks everyone I'm excited to see all your tortoises!!!
I always have this wish in the back of my mind that I will some day fine a baby tortoise in my yard and end up having to keep it!!! I see everyone’s babies on here and I want one!! But then I remember that since I have 5 horses, I only have space for 1 Sulcata ?? And she really is ENOUGH.

I would never be bored with 5 tortoise. Whew!! yeah send photos!

Len B

10 Year Member!
Southern Md - Northern Neck Va
I had 5 sulcata adults together 3 females and 2 males and never had a problem with them bothering each other. The males each had their own house and the females all slept in the same house. When night came each went to their house for the night and the next day they would all mingle together. If you give the 4 sulcatas enough room you shouldn't have any problems. But always look for something out of the ordinary in their behavior.

chapdaab

Dickinson
I always have this wish in the back of my mind that I will some day fine a baby tortoise in my yard and end up having to keep it!!! I see everyone’s babies on here and I want one!! But then I remember that since I have 5 horses, I only have space for 1 Sulcata ?? And she really is ENOUGH.

I would never be bored with 5 tortoise. Whew!! yeah send photos!
Send me a pic of yours!!!!

queen koopa

Las Vegas Nevada
Here’s enclosure with her new lawn addition that is not open to her yet.617C24D1-7A41-4E7C-9A82-6EA90B2DA76A.jpegA889E29E-2884-4176-ADE9-065A3E9A1331.jpeg58176DD8-0263-46B9-8802-D20319EA4414.jpeg

Attachments

• 22280838-FB9B-428D-A89E-30CFDBB4A758.jpeg
    22280838-FB9B-428D-A89E-30CFDBB4A758.jpeg
    5.3 MB · Views: 6