Mazuri

Status
Not open for further replies.

TFCO

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Amherstburg, Ontario
Hello Everyone,

My little guy squirt (Sulcata) loves his mazuri pellets he is one year old. I feed him a mixture of greens in the morining before work with a salad style dressing (hay) for a topper and a dash of calcium. His lights are set for 8 to 8 for basking light plus Uva bulb to turn on. When my wife gets home from work 3:30 his entire salad has been eaten and his waiting for his dinner a mazuir pellet. We soak it for 60 sec before feeding it to him and he eats every little bit of it. I was wondering if I could give him more because he loves it so much I don't want to over feed him. After he is done eating it we offer him more greens which every once and a while he will eat them. So he eats his greens during the morining hours and his mazuir in the afternoon hours then a snack of greens are offered after his mazuri is gone. Normally in the morining hours when I feed him the snack of greens are still there. so i toss them out and give him fresh Greens.

Please let me know if I should change anything im trying hard to give him what he needs. To be a healthy guy!

Thank You

cemmons12

5 Year Member
Greenfield, In.
I give my Cooper around 10-15 at dinner time. But his greens make up about 80% of his diet, so I would give yours more just make sure the greens are the biggest part of his diet. Also, since Cooper is so big for his age, is why I give him the amount of Mazuri he gets. 20 months old, 17 lbs, 15 inch's long. How big is your guy?

Dizisdalife

10 Year Member!
California
The feeding directions on the Mazuri website suggest 2 - 4% of the tortoises body weight. One pellet of Mazuri weighs approximately 1 gram (un-moistened). My assumption is that would be sufficient for a daily feeding of Mazuri. That means that Cooper, Chris's large sulcata, should be given 150-160 grams (pellets) for a full meal.

I feed Mazuri to my 15 lb sulcata about 3 times a week. It is always mixed with timothy hay, bermuda grass (or hay), cactus, or some other greens that he has chosen to ignore. I put about 45 grams of Mazuri into the mixture, or about a third of the total weight is Mazuri. He would much rather eat mulberry or grape leaves and if he sees them in my hand he will stomp around until I hide them from sight. They see better than I thought.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I agree, a little more then one pellet would probably be fine. However I would not be giving the calcium every day. Twice a week for the calcium. Some only feed Mazuri twice a week.

TFCO

5 Year Member
Amherstburg, Ontario
wellington said:
I agree, a little more then one pellet would probably be fine. However I would not be giving the calcium every day. Twice a week for the calcium. Some only feed Mazuri twice a week.

Is it ok to feed him one pellet everyday?

What can happen if a tortoise has too much calcium? Side affects? so his main food would be the greens 80% and 20% the Mazuri and hays?

Thanks for the help!!!

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
He's going to grow really fast if you feed him Mazuri everyday. I only feed it twice a week. It snot right or wrong, just my preference. Some feed it more, some never feed it. They don't need it, but I do think it's good for them.

On the calcium: Yes. You CAN use too much. Too much interferes with the absorption and balance of other elements and minerals. Opinions ruthe spectrum on this too, but I have found s small amount, twice a week to work very well. Others use it every other day, and I know some people who never use it. All of the above produce healthy tortoises. Don't stress too much over it. The is a wide margin of error permissible here. Personally, I would not use it everyday, for fear of causing some imbalance.

TFCO

5 Year Member
Amherstburg, Ontario
Tom said:
He's going to grow really fast if you feed him Mazuri everyday. I only feed it twice a week. It snot right or wrong, just my preference. Some feed it more, some never feed it. They don't need it, but I do think it's good for them.

On the calcium: Yes. You CAN use too much. Too much interferes with the absorption and balance of other elements and minerals. Opinions ruthe spectrum on this too, but I have found s small amount, twice a week to work very well. Others use it every other day, and I know some people who never use it. All of the above produce healthy tortoises. Don't stress too much over it. The is a wide margin of error permissible here. Personally, I would not use it everyday, for fear of causing some imbalance.

Thanks for the info i will start giving him calcium twice a week and mazuri 3 times a week. He looks to be around 4" to 4 1/2" in shell lenght any idea what age he is? I was told a year.

Thanks

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
About a year sounds right. Mazuri is a good addition to your torts daily greens. I feed my sulcata 3 pellets daily. Now I see a change. She has gotten wider. But before this she didn't have much of an appetite. Now she does...

jtrux

5 Year Member
San Antonio, TX
My torts breakfast consist of Mazuri and some finely chopped greens and for dinner he gets spring mix and he has access to grass and weeds in his enclosure all day.

MnM10

5 Year Member
I give my little guy mazuri almost every day. Mostly greens. And calcium 2x a wk. when I first got Flash there wasn't much growth and there was pyramiding but once I started him/her on mazuri and soaks there was def a lot of improvement. Went from just under 3" to 7" in across his shell.

Status
Not open for further replies.