Mazuri Tortoise Diet

Status
Not open for further replies.

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
NJ
Well, I don't know if I am more confused as this seems somewhat controversial but I am going to try it out. I think how you are using it 2-3 times a week Anja. I found it at a local feed store for $25 for 25 lbs.

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
Dee I would try out a smaller package of it just to be sure you really want to use it. 25lbs is ALLOT of tortoise chow. ;)

jlyoncc1

10 Year Member!
NJ
A 1 lb bag was $10 so I just went for it. If no one likes it, I will donate it somewhere.

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
So as an extra it's seems ok for Russians, Leopards. Not so good for red foots. what about Ornates?. She eats live food, but also gets veggies. I was planning on asking about this food when someone mentioned it in a picture. What does it go for? I was going to check on ebay, but not sure what a good price is. Our local pet store is at least double for anything you buy there.
Thanks Na

Nay

10 Year Member!
Belchertown Ma
Sorry, seems I always post something without going to the next page. OOps/

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
You decide...

I've sucessufully used Mazuri on...

Leopard, Russian, Chaco, Egyptian, Star, Desert, Flattail, Spider, Pancake, Redfoot, Sulcata, Aldabra, Greek, Hingeback tortoises, Chinese boxies, Eastern Boxies, Cayman Iguanas, Rachodactylus leachianus(dont' know the common name).

All the nutrients are there. The key factor is the quantity. Some species seem to be more efficient in processint the nutrients. That means that the quantity is the ony thing you have to worry about.

Nay said:
So as an extra it's seems ok for Russians, Leopards. Not so good for red foots. what about Ornates?. She eats live food, but also gets veggies. I was planning on asking about this food when someone mentioned it in a picture. What does it go for? I was going to check on ebay, but not sure what a good price is. Our local pet store is at least double for anything you buy there.
Thanks Na

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
I even started giving it to my Three Toed Box Turtles that just came out of cooling. :)

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Ed, that's quite a list. By quantity do you mean proportion? You feed mazuri tortoise food to cyclura iguanas and new caledonia giant geckos? What proportion of protein is in this and how do you up it if needed? Are you talking of all the mazuri line or just tortoise food?

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
I don't think about the proportion of protein... I leave that to the people who developed it. They have a way better understanding of animal nutrition than I do and after corresponding with them over the year I trust their judgement over the average person in terms of nutritional knowledge.

I adjust the intake by the frequency of feeding. All my animals get as much as they can eat in one sitting. Some animals like the Russian tortoises and the Redfoots I will feed less frequently because I don't like the rate of growth... that's a personal choise and has no other reason.

I use the tortoise diet on everything. The only difference between them all is the ratio of the nutrients.

Again, that's just me and it works for me.

Itort said:
Ed, that's quite a list. By quantity do you mean proportion? You feed mazuri tortoise food to cyclura iguanas and new caledonia giant geckos? What proportion of protein is in this and how do you up it if needed? Are you talking of all the mazuri line or just tortoise food?

Itort

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Iowa
Ok, now I understand.

TestudoGeek

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Lisbon, Portugal
-EJ said:

Leopard, Russian, Chaco, Egyptian, Star, Desert, Flattail, Spider, Pancake, Redfoot, Sulcata, Aldabra, Greek, Hingeback tortoises, Chinese boxies, Eastern Boxies, Cayman Iguanas, Rachodactylus leachianus(dont' know the common name).

EJ, I'm assuming that if it's good for Russians, Egyptians & Greeks (all of them Testudos), it should be good for Hermann's, right?

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Sorry... missed that one. Yup, definately good for Hermans. I have used it with Hermans and Marginateds.

TestudoGeek said:
-EJ said:

EJ, I'm assuming that if it's good for Russians, Egyptians & Greeks (all of them Testudos), it should be good for Hermann's, right?

cvalda

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Wisconsin
I personally wouldn't feed this exclusive but part of that is because I LOVE how some of my tortoises react to different food - like the "chow plow" that comes running when certain foods are put down. I personally like to feed them a varied diet. But I DO keep Mazuri on hand in case I need it, for instance if I'm out of greens and can't get to the store or the greens on hand mysteriously go bad before I planned... Not all of my torts will eat it, but many will if given nothing else. It is great to have as back-up, ESPECIALLY over the winter when I can't just go out in the yard and grab a handful of "lunch"! LOL!

TestudoGeek

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Lisbon, Portugal
cvalda said:
I personally wouldn't feed this exclusive but part of that is because I LOVE how some of my tortoises react to different food - like the "chow plow" that comes running when certain foods are put down. I personally like to feed them a varied diet. But I DO keep Mazuri on hand in case I need it, for instance if I'm out of greens and can't get to the store or the greens on hand mysteriously go bad before I planned... Not all of my torts will eat it, but many will if given nothing else. It is great to have as back-up, ESPECIALLY over the winter when I can't just go out in the yard and grab a handful of "lunch"! LOL!

Kelly, this is precisely why I came accross Mazuri.
This past week I had a hard time getting weeds (the one's I'm planting are still to small to keep up with my tort's apetite...) and had to feed him Watercress & Turnip Greens from the store. The thing is: after 1 week on these 2 veggies alone, the tort produces alot more Urates.
In situations like this, mazuri can be very convenient...

S

stells

i'm still lucky enough to be finding enough weeds to feed 8 tortoises sometimes bulking out with romaine and other supermarket food. i know Ed will say something about nutritional value ;) i'm happy with how i feed my anilmals and won't feed manufactured muck that in my opinion has not been around long enough for people to be able to make such positive statements about it. How can one food be fed to such a large range of species with different diet requirements be good for each and every one?
Ed knows my views on this so i know he will know i mean no offence ;)

JustAnja

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Arkansas
25 years is not around long enough to provide positive statements Kelly? Seems like long enough to me personally.

S

stells

well no not really i don't think it is long enough, and i wonder how many times the formula has changed in 25 years, and as far as i was aware it was made to "head start" Galapogus tortoises before release not to be fed their whole lives exclusively. How can it be fed to a redfoot and lets say a greek and be good for both when there dietry needs are completely different?

-EJ

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Georgia
Their nutritional needs are identical. How they fullfil those needs in the wild are different.

I started using Mazuri as a supplement and very cautiously. I found that tortoises did great on the stuff and shifted the amount I used. On some tortoises I found that they did much better on the Mazuri than on the green diet I was providing.

Yes, the formula does change over time as more information is collected on the nutritional needs of these animals. That is the other thing that is a benefit.

With a green diet it's still all guesswork. As said before not all keepers can or want to blow more time obtaining food (which is still guesswork) than that spent on enjoying the charge.

stells said:
well no not really i don't think it is long enough, and i wonder how many times the formula has changed in 25 years, and as far as i was aware it was made to "head start" Galapogus tortoises before release not to be fed their whole lives exclusively. How can it be fed to a redfoot and lets say a greek and be good for both when there dietry needs are completely different?

Status
Not open for further replies.