Mazuri LS Tortoise Diet

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Balto. MD
Just wanted to ask if any other users of Mazuri LS has had a problem with very small bugs in the food. First notice them months ago in the water dish next to the Mazuri LS in the morning when I would feed my Sulcata. I thought they were coming out of the cypress munch to get a drink, which I thought that was normal for little critters to be living in the wood. Not thinking that they could have been coming from something else. When I bought my 25 pound bag of Mazuri LS from Mazuri.Com, I dumped it in a sealed plastic container will a lock on the lid so it was only opened when I needed some. Had the food for about six months now and just about out when I took what was left out of the container, poured in on a paper plate and noticed all these little bugs running out of the food ( small as a grain of sand ). I panicked and run then down the sink not knowing what they were. I spoke with a customers service person from Mazuri.com to see if they were aware of the problem about bugs, I was told they were now aware. They wish that I would of taking some pictures of the bugs so they could try to identify then. So I purchased another 25 pound bag, so when I open it I'm going to record me opening the bag just incase. If they show up in the new bag, Mazuri.com would like to see the recording. They wanted to refund my money but I told them that my tortoise ate most of the food. didn't want the money, just wants safe food to feed my Tortoise that whould not harm him. Will let you know if the new bag has bugs.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I use the 5m21 Mazuri formula and I've noticed that if it sits for a few weeks, moths come flying out of it like a plague. You're seeing the moth larvae.
Insects like it because it's made of stuff that beetles and larvae seem to eat.
I'm strongly assuming that the newer LS formula and the 5M21 formula have the same bugs in it....
Keep it in sealed containers or freeze it in several gallon sized zipper bags to kill the bugs and keep it fresh.
I wouldn't worry about the insects. Most of them will likely wind up as extra protein.
I've seen them. Its not just you. And I've been feeding my tortoises that Mazuri for over 20 years now.
You can feel confident that your tortoise will be fine.
You won't find them in every bag. But you'll find them often enough that you won't think much about them after a while.
....And I can GUARANTEE YOU that Purina knows all about the insect situation.

Last edited:

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
My LS as been sealed from day one, I'm guessing they were in the food when it was processed into pellets. They were in the dry food also, just worried about the bugs crawling in my tortoises eyes.

ZenHerper

New Jersey
Grain-eating bugs won't bother your tort.

I'm far more concerned about the sugar content of pre-fab foods.

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
My LS as been sealed from day one, I'm guessing they were in the food when it was processed into pellets. They were in the dry food also, just worried about the bugs crawling in my tortoises eyes.
I don't even think about them anymore.
There are about 20 of those little moths flying around in my garage as we speak.
It's not just Mazuri.....I see very similar bugs in my wifes bird seed/food pretty regularly.
You could freeze it or moisten it in very hot water....
My tortoises are all pretty large and live outdoors. So the bugs aren't really an issue.
I just wanted to let you know that I've seen them before...And more than once. They will pupate, hatch and fly away all over your house.
I've also seen some tiny weevil looking bugs in there. I'm not sure if they become anything else or just stay the same.
Keep it in a sealed container after opening. And try not to let them bother you.
They're harmless.

Sa Ga

MN
I had heard great things about Mazuri in the past, and so I tried feeding it (original Mazuri) when I first got Morla. She wouldn't touch it. I noticed it had higher protein and alfalfa (which I'd read you don't want a lot of protein and want to avoid alfalfa), so I just used the Zoo Med pellets then. They came highly recommended by a highly regarded member of the Herp Society, so I felt pretty good about them. Plus, looking at the ingredients, they seemed more natural.

With all the talk of the new Mazuri LS formulation, I wondered if so highly praised, why did they change their orig formula? Still, I thought I'd try it again and bought a small bag last night.

Morla LOVED it! Her appetite has been lower this past week and a half, but last night, she ate like a champ! Not sure if it was the Mazuri or what, but hey...I'll take it!

QUESTIONS:
1.) Should I switch entirely to Mazuri, or should I alt between Zoo Med and Mazuri for nutritional variety?

2.) The two pellets smell unbelievably diffr. and their ingredients are SO diffr.! Not to mention their consistencies are like night and day--Zoo Med is light and seems to be pressed plant material; Mazuri is this dense paste and smells...weird...not at all natural.

Are they "the same but diffr" (ie: both pretty equally nutritious but just use diffr things) or is one truly better (ie: they use diffr things and one is better for the tort). Has anyone done a head to head comparison of results? What did u find?

3.) Does anyone know where to get a bigger variety of veggies? I can locate pretty consistently mustard greens, wheat grass, collard greens, radicchio, romaine, dandelion greens, chard, kale, and carrot greens, along with diffr varieties of spring mixes.

I cannot find endive, escarole, and any others to give her made variety. I live in MN so gardening/weeds are not an option most of the year (and with all the spraying that goes on around here, I don't know that I trust ANY weeds in this area!).

4.) Does rinsing really safely remove contaminates and pesticides from weeds?

Would very appreciate input!!!

Sa Ga

MN
P.S. Maybe not so much worry about the bugs themselves, but, as they breed, live, and die in the food, they don't exactly clean up after themselves... I would not feed my tortie bug-*infested* food if I could help it. A bug here and there, no prob. But infested, you're talking about their waste, dead and decomp bugs, and because of the possible moisture, mold.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
Yes, I'm concerned about the sugar content also. But doing the winter he like his Mazuri, he also received other greens. Can't wait for spring and summer to grow my own tortoise food. My front yard is zoysia grass and Hibiscus flowers and the back yard has a blend of tortoise grasses and Hibiscus flowers. Park beside my house has Mulberry Trees. Here is a picture of my garden last year, this years I will be planting more of what my tortoise can eat.

Attachments

• 20170603_101003.jpg
    20170603_101003.jpg
    3.1 MB · Views: 13

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
P.S. Maybe not so much worry about the bugs themselves, but, as they breed, live, and die in the food, they don't exactly clean up after themselves... I would not feed my tortie bug-*infested* food if I could help it. A bug here and there, no prob. But infested, you're talking about their waste, dead and decomp bugs, and because of the possible moisture, mold.
Yes a bug or two would not of bother me but when I dump the rest into a screen sifter to separate the pellet from the lose shake over a paper plate to use to sprinkle over his greens. The shake came alive and starting walking on the counter, there were hundreds of itty bitty bug. That when I panicked and run them down the sink.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
I had heard great things about Mazuri in the past, and so I tried feeding it (original Mazuri) when I first got Morla. She wouldn't touch it. I noticed it had higher protein and alfalfa (which I'd read you don't want a lot of protein and want to avoid alfalfa), so I just used the Zoo Med pellets then. They came highly recommended by a highly regarded member of the Herp Society, so I felt pretty good about them. Plus, looking at the ingredients, they seemed more natural.

With all the talk of the new Mazuri LS formulation, I wondered if so highly praised, why did they change their orig formula? Still, I thought I'd try it again and bought a small bag last night.

Morla LOVED it! Her appetite has been lower this past week and a half, but last night, she ate like a champ! Not sure if it was the Mazuri or what, but hey...I'll take it!

QUESTIONS:
1.) Should I switch entirely to Mazuri, or should I alt between Zoo Med and Mazuri for nutritional variety?

2.) The two pellets smell unbelievably diffr. and their ingredients are SO diffr.! Not to mention their consistencies are like night and day--Zoo Med is light and seems to be pressed plant material; Mazuri is this dense paste and smells...weird...not at all natural.

Are they "the same but diffr" (ie: both pretty equally nutritious but just use diffr things) or is one truly better (ie: they use diffr things and one is better for the tort). Has anyone done a head to head comparison of results? What did u find?

3.) Does anyone know where to get a bigger variety of veggies? I can locate pretty consistently mustard greens, wheat grass, collard greens, radicchio, romaine, dandelion greens, chard, kale, and carrot greens, along with diffr varieties of spring mixes.

I cannot find endive, escarole, and any others to give her made variety. I live in MN so gardening/weeds are not an option most of the year (and with all the spraying that goes on around here, I don't know that I trust ANY weeds in this area!).

4.) Does rinsing really safely remove contaminates and pesticides from weeds?

Would very appreciate input!!!
My Sulcata started eating Mazuri regular when I received him at 46 grams, he enjoyed that for awhile, then he ate ZooMed pellet, and Mazuri LS. He also received a variety of different greens with his dry food which I would soak the Zoo Med pellets and the Mazuri LS in warm water first. He will still eat all three dry food but out of the three he perfers the Mazuri LS. He also loves some nice young tender cactus, have them in the yard also, the older ones are two stuff. Come on summer.

Warren

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Balto. MD
Just received my new bag of Mazuri LS, went through the whole 25 pounds and found no bugs. Will be checking the container of food over the next few weeks to see if any bugs show up. Order from Chewy yesterday and received it this morning, no shipping charges. Mazuri.com wanted $11.99 for standard shipping.

Maro2Bear

5 Year Member
Glenn Dale, Maryland, USA
Yes, I'm concerned about the sugar content also. But doing the winter he like his Mazuri, he also received other greens. Can't wait for spring and summer to grow my own tortoise food. My front yard is zoysia grass and Hibiscus flowers and the back yard has a blend of tortoise grasses and Hibiscus flowers. Park beside my house has Mulberry Trees. Here is a picture of my garden last year, this years I will be planting more of what my tortoise can eat.

Nice looking cabbages!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Just received my new bag of Mazuri LS, went through the whole 25 pounds and found no bugs. Will be checking the container of food over the next few weeks to see if any bugs show up. Order from Chewy yesterday and received it this morning, no shipping charges. Mazuri.com wanted $11.99 for standard shipping.
Get some fly paper ready...:)