Mazuri LS - Answers from manufacturer

Amajoy

Location (City and/or State)
Glendale, AZ
So I was considering Mazuri for Dezzi because he doesn't really care for zoomed's grassland food, even when mixed with greens. I saw another thread about the new forumula and how a lot of torts weren't liking it so I emailed the company to find out what exactly the differences were. So here it is straight from the horses mouth!

Amanda,

Thanks for your inquiry. We have had positive feedback regarding the LS diet. See below a description of the two diets.

The Tortoise LS diet is somewhat of a 'next generation' product as we have access to new abilities in manufacturing. Where before we needed a degree of starch to hold the product particles together, we have worked around that need and are able to now make extruded products with less and less starch. The new Tortoise LS is one those products.

However, the original 5M21 Tortoise has had a long and successful history, and as of now, we have no plans to discontinue the product because of that history.
If you think you need to increase the fiber level in the diet of our tortoises (since they aren't great dried forage/hay eaters), going to the LS will give you a boost on the fiber side. It will also bring some probiotics into the diet. There is about 10% less energy in the LS, so if you want to slow down growth, or you have a Tortoise that is too heavy (over conditioned), the LS could help.

As far as physical characteristics, the Tortoise LS will soak very well, whereas the 5M21 Tortoise will breakdown into a mush during soaking - so if you want to serve a moistened diet, you should try the Tortoise LS.

We do not offer samples, but do have a 100% satisfaction guarantee. If you purchase the product and find your tortoise is not eating it, then we can offer a refund or a replacement.

Have a great day!

Beverly

Beverly Fischer | Purina Animal Nutrition, LLC.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Thanks. I've been telling folks the LS stood for Less sodium, but now it see it stands for less starch. Interesting response.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
Thanks for emailing them and sharing. Nice to know they back it with a refund if not liked. I still use the old stuff, but do want to try the new. Maybe a mix of the two would be a good blend.

Amajoy

Glendale, AZ
Np! Also I asked them about why the 1lb bag got discontinued on their site and that I can find smaller bags on Amazon but based on reviews with how it's packaged nobody is sure it's actually their brand. Anyways this was their reply...

The smaller packs are co packed at another location and there are no plans at this time to bring back the one pound size. Our diets do have a one year shelf life from the date of production. Some customers will freeze product to extend freshness, but you have to be careful when doing so making certain it is in an airtight, freezer container. We caution buying any product online, unless from our website, as there are no guarantees what they are selling is actually coming from us.

Have a great day!

Beverly