Mazuri... How often?

Pearly

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Texas, Austin area
Mazuri is what got my baby mr picky eater to eat! I soak few pellets, mash them up and mix with finely chopped salad. Daily. Mine are RF's 3& 3.5 inches, still babies

Myroli

My biggest concern with feeding it daily would be , he likes it so much he wont eat anything else . I am sure this would be fine with the folks from Mazuri ! :D I don't mean there is anything bad about it , just that the bigger the variety the better . I would think ? diet wise .
Yeah, I've noticed he won't even eat much of his spring mix when I give it to him with calcium powder... I didn't know that would happen when I first started this, so now I'm going to start mixing it in with other things lol

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Yeah, I've noticed he won't even eat much of his spring mix when I give it to him with calcium powder... I didn't know that would happen when I first started this, so now I'm going to start mixing it in with other things lol
I don't have a bag at hand , but I am pretty sure they say it can be used as a complete diet ? I still think that a variety is best . I am probably being my usual skeptical self , but if I was selling "tort food" I would also say it is the greatest thing going ! :D

Speedy-1

St. David Arizona
Mazuri is what got my baby mr picky eater to eat! I soak few pellets, mash them up and mix with finely chopped salad. Daily. Mine are RF's 3& 3.5 inches, still babies
I am glad your "picky eater" likes it ! It is most certainly good for him ! Some times the best food for them boils down to "what they will , or will not eat" ! ;)

Odin's Gma

5 Year Member
USDA Zone 4a+
This is how we do it for Odin:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/sully-salad-for-new-tort-owners-pic-heavy.132818/

On winter days when the greens in his enclosure are sparse he gets it every day, and when he is kind enough to let things grow and has plenty to eat in his enclosure it's more like a few times a week. I have started adding a lot more hay to the Mazuri mix in recent weeks and it has gone very well, but he is almost 2 years old now, I wouldn't bother with the hay for tiny ones.
In the summer time he got it maybe once a month, if that.

W Shaw

The sulcata at the university has it available all the time in winter, in addition to zucchini and some plants that are left at his height in the greenhouse. One of the herpetologists there gave me some to try. For my 5 inch Russian, he said soak 2 or three pellets and offer with each meal in the winter. As far as getting addicted, mine hates it. He'll swallow one bite of something he really likes, with a tiny little bit smeared on it, but immediately gets suspicious, and carefully examines anything that follows it, to make sure it's not similarly contaminated.

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
I don't have a bag at hand , but I am pretty sure they say it can be used as a complete diet ? I still think that a variety is best . I am probably being my usual skeptical self , but if I was selling "tort food" I would also say it is the greatest thing going ! :D

I definitely use more than recommended by the forum members here, but not for lack of trying. I have a picky butthead. I don't think we will really know how it effects him in the long run since he wasn't well cared for from the beginning. Someone else had 9 years to screw him up before me.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
My sullies get Mazuri everyday, in addition to grazing and eating specific veggies like endive. My first two torts are 4 years old and weigh 68 lbs and 72 lbs. I also have a special needs tort that weighed 4 ounces when I got her. Today she's about 45 lbs.

My only fear is that I may have created monstrous sized torts! :p