Mazuri diet choices

Professor Brenda

Location (City and/or State)
Pflugerville, Texas
Hi friends. It's been a while since I've been here. Hope you all are well. My torts and I are fabulous.

I was looking at the different formulas for Mazuri tortoise foods. I noticed the one I feed my 7-year old sulcata is Tortoise Diet formula M521 is recommended by Mazuri for Adult box turtles, red-foots, Elongated, Indian star, and Burmese tortoises. The ingredients include molasses, ground corn and alfalfa meal, salt, no timothy hay. Those do not sound like good ingredients for sulcatas.

The Tortoise LS diet formula 5E5L says it is for sulcatas, Aldabras, and Galapagos, among others. This one includes timothy hay, molasses, fructose, and dried apple pumace, no corn. This seems better for sulcatas.

My sulcata an box turtles get a very wide variety plant diet as well as other proteins, etc. items for the box turtles. So I am just looking at the pellet food that is a PART of the diet.

What is the best formula for our juvenile and adult sulcatas? Comments on the ingredients welcome. What do you think about the corn and molasses in the ingredients for sulcatas?

Thank you for this discussion in advance.

Brenda

Professor Brenda

Pflugerville, Texas
When I first got my big boy, Otis we tried the LS and he would not eat it. He loves the 5M21. I'm glad to hear you all have always seen good results with it. I too am seeing a smoother shell in just one year of ownership with this food, good nutrition, and good environment.

What about the grassland tort food from ZooMed? What are your thoughts and experiences with that?

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
When I first got my big boy, Otis we tried the LS and he would not eat it. He loves the 5M21. I'm glad to hear you all have always seen good results with it. I too am seeing a smoother shell in just one year of ownership with this food, good nutrition, and good environment.

What about the grassland tort food from ZooMed? What are your thoughts and experiences with that?
None of mine liked the LS version initially, but like any other food, with a lengthy introduction process, they've all come to love it. My initial complaint with the LS version is that no amount of soaking would soften it up so that it could be mushed into a form edible by smaller tortoises. Only my big sulcatas could eat it and I had to mix it with 5M21 to get them to eat it. Now the LS stuff will get soft enough to mash up if you soak it for an hour.

The Grassland food is great and so is the Forest tortoise pellet, even for grass eaters. They also have a "gourmet" type now that is also great. I soak all three types and then mix it in with the greens of the day. Works great for me in this way. This one is a great food, but takes even longer to get them introduced to it. I think its worth the effort and all of mine seem to really like it now.