mazuri = constipation?

Status
Not open for further replies.

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Seatac, Washington
I started feeding my one year old Sulcata Mazuri everyday. Since I started, in the begining of this month, he has not had his regular poo. Normally I would say it was a little soft but he had no problems. Now they look (his poo) completely solid and he looks like he has a bit of trouble. I still give him greens... same as always. Only thing thats changed is adding the Mazuri... anybody have problems with Mazuri and constipation?

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
No--there might be something else wrong. What else are you feeding him "greens" wise?

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Seatac, Washington
mostly spring mix with added things. I put in dandelions greens, cactus, and a couple different lettuces in occasionally. Try to add grasses and hays every once in awhile. Everything I buy from a store gets washed thoroughly, and grasses are from outside. He has pansies growing in his enclosure. The only thing I thought was maybe he was dehydrated. I had a really busy week and he only got soaked once. He has water in his enclosure though

Meg90

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
WI
Everything sounds about right---is he not pooping at all, or is it just firmer than usual?

I don't soak my young tortoises (I know its advised, but both of mine hate it, and use their dishes on their own) so I doubt that that is your problem. You are dusting w/Ca every feeding right? He's under UVB?

GBtortoises

10 Year Member!
The Catskill Mountains of New York State
Constipation shouldn't normally be a problem caused by Mazuri chow, it has adequate fiber, as do the other foods that you're feeding. However, I wouldn't feed a tortoise Mazuri everyday. Even a tortoise that requires a higher fiber diet like A Sulcata. According to the manufacturers own ingredient analysis their product contains not more than 18% fiber it also contains "not less than 15% protein". Low levels of protein are an important part of most species diet. But probably should not be a constant part of each and every feeding. Dandelion is also naturally high in protein and opuntina cactus generally contains around 6% protein on average.
Feeding that much protein makes it vitally important for a tortoise to be able to stay well hydrated and flush it's system often.
I would not assume that a tortoise is drinking simply because it has water constantly available unless you see physical evidence of wastes in the water as in feces, uric acid or yellow discoloration from urine. If you don't see those signs often either in it's water or enclosure your tortoise probably is not drinking very often.
Too much calcium without water intake can also be a cause of constipation and can lead to other problems, including kidney stones and intestinal blockage in severe cases.
Much of the problem comes down to simple lack of proper water intake. Not to be confused with external ambient humidity or substrate moisture. Both are important and help in keeping a tortoise hydrated from the outside, which is definitely important but not to the extent that internal hydration is which is vital to their digestive process.
UVB is a catalyst that begins the vitamin D3 production which in turn facilitates the absorbtion of calcium. So in a round about way, lack of proper exposure to adequate UVB may also be an underlying contributor of constipation.

S

stells

Totally agree with Gary on this one...

Just to add Dandelion is also a diuretic... which is why when you are little you are told you will wee the bed if you pick them lol

M

Maggie Cummings

I think feeding Mazuri to a young tortoise everyday is not good. I feed Bob Mazuri once or twice a week, if I feed Mazuri more than that he gets obviously constipated but fed once or twice a week he poops just great and I think he is getting nutrients that he's not getting from the greens.

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Seatac, Washington
He gets calcium everyday, he has UVB, and he still goes but its definetly firmer then normal. I will hold off on the Mazuri everyday. But what about those people that fed their tortoise nothing but Mazuri with excellent results? I was under the impression that it was ok to feed everyday. Maybe thats a debated topic also. Funny thing is I thought it would have opposite results because of how plumped with water the are after I soak them, guess not.

Tim/Robin

10 Year Member!
We have never had any issues with constipation and feeding Mazuri. I would look for some other cause. Has the little one been on any small bark or rocks? Tortoises are known to eat both and both could lead to a blockage inhibiting normal stool passage.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
One thing to remember... what a tortoise eats today doesn't get through his system by tomorrow or the next day. So if you feed Mazuri today and he's seems to be constipated in the next couple of days, the culprit is probably what he ate the few meals prior to the Mazuri meal.

reptylefreek

5 Year Member
Seatac, Washington
Well I'll start by taking away the Mazuri and see if that fixes it. He has been eating it for about three weeks now. If that doesn't work I'll make sure and soak him more for the next week and leave him in a little longer to give him more time to drink. Also let me clarify, I think constipated was the wrong word. He just has extremely firm poop. Not the norm for him. I did witness him struggling a little (the whole pulling his head all the way in and pushing). He still passed as much as normal last night, but its form was just very different. If Mazuri is high in fiber would that also make everything firm up?

samstar

5 Year Member
I give both my torts calcium on alternate days which I feel is adequate, to much of anything is no good. Again everyone has their own feeding paterns so do what your comfortable with.

Status
Not open for further replies.