Mazuri competitor?

Weldd

10 Year Member!
Can anyone tell me the name of the red biscuit food that is similar to Mazuri? I remember it being spoken about on a thread a while ago. Thanks...

Weldd

10 Year Member!
Yeah. I feed a ton of Mazuri myself. Some of my forest tortoises are drawn to the red color of the Marion biscuits though...

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Weldd said:
Yeah. I feed a ton of Mazuri myself. Some of my forest tortoises are drawn to the red color of the Marion biscuits though...

You can dye your Mazuri with food coloring no problems ....
( hot tip #357)....;)

I have used this technique many of times for picky / ill torts who have a hard time eating
“ plain jane colors”

edwardbo

5 Year Member
N2 thank you for that nugget of info .how did you get so smart ?

JennBell0725

5 Year Member
I downloaded the pdf bc I was curious about the ingredients. I'm not impressed.

Attachments

• 1385526368682.jpg
    1385526368682.jpg
    96.5 KB · Views: 83

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Cary, NC
I have been a big advocate of Marion Zoological for quite some time. It was recently reformulated. I have had nothing but good results with it. I don't have a single tortoise that won't eat it. If some tortoises are slow to come along in eating, they may take to this because of the red color and it has some molasses in it which they really like. Also it has a high fiber content which most of these tortoises are not getting enough of. I still alternate w/ Mazuri so they get two different commercial diets along with greens and grassland diet during the winter, and feed on Centipede grass the rest of the year. Best I can say is don't knock it until you've offered it to the tortoises. It is fed routinely in Zoo settings across the country.

TommyZ

5 Year Member
Those guys up above ^^^ (Dr.Rosenoff and Jeff) really know their stuff, all results based info, not assumptions based off stats and metrics. If they say yay, id believe that its safe...

deadheadvet

10 Year Member!
Cary, NC
female burmese.JPGWhen I got this female a little more than a year ago. She took a little time to settle in. The only thing she would consistently eat was the Marion Zoological. Suffice to say, I was a bit worried. it took about 3 months before she would eat everything in sight. To give you an idea about weight gain adding in the diet, she went from 880gr. to 1830gr. as of yesterday. By the way, she's just over 3 years old.

Last edited by a moderator:

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Red Sticks....I think I got them from Coastal Silkworms....My tort doesn't like them :( I agree that there is no competitor for Mazuri!! :)

JeffG

5 Year Member
Arizona
I have been feeding this mixed with Mazuri 1-2 times a week for 3 years now. All of my leopards and Burmese Stars love it. I don’t know the science of it, but my torts are all doing great. I get mine from www.coastalsilkworms.com as well.