May be adopting these box turtles...

Status
Not open for further replies.

PumpkinPie

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Visalia, CA
Hello everyone :)

I recently replied to this craigslist add for 2 box turtles that needed a good home. For a long time I have been wanting to get some turtles, or adopt another tort, but have been unsure which route to take so haven't done anything impulsive.

I randomly found this lady who loves her turtles but needs to find them a good home because she is having difficulty taking care of them. The add really of spoke to me because I wasn't even looking at that moment, I literally stumbled upon it, I like helping people, and especially animals.

I emailed her right away, and she responded back with a few additional pics. So far I still don't have a lot of information though... She is including the whole tank setup, which is pretty impressive. The problem with that is that the photo I got of the tank you can't see the turtles in it, and the photo's of the turtles don't show how big they are compared to the tank. So I am concerned about how big they are and if the tank is big enough for them, and if so, for how long.

So I asked her a slew of questions....

*Are they ornate turtles? They look like it but I am not sure
*Do you know how old they are?
*Are they fully grown?
*How much room do they currently have in that tank?
*What difficulties are you having caring for them?
*What is their behavior like? (towards you and each other)
*What do you feed them?
*What kind of filter are you currently using?
*How big is the tank that you are using?
*Do you know the sexes of the turtles?
*Are they healthy and have they ever had any health problems that you know of?
*Did you buy them from a breeder or a pet store?

I am waiting to hear back.... Even if I need to get them a bigger tank that's okay, I just want to know all of the information before I decide since she is located an hour drive from where I live.

Also, my dessert tort is about to come in the house because he has began brumation.... but in the future would it be okay to have my tort and the turtles together in my outdoor enclosure? I know it's a very debatable topic..... If they are all healthy, is it possible to do??

Any suggestions are much appreciated!! Here are pics of the turtles and the tank that I am thinking about adopting.....

Attachments

• 2012-01-15_13-09-54_609.jpg
    2012-01-15_13-09-54_609.jpg
    321.9 KB · Views: 108
  • 2012-01-21_18-01-51_633.jpg
    2012-01-21_18-01-51_633.jpg
    288.7 KB · Views: 103
  • DSC09683.JPG
    DSC09683.JPG
    596.4 KB · Views: 110
  • 5La5G25Md3M53m43J6c9ge0f841db4c1d1a81 (1).jpg
    5La5G25Md3M53m43J6c9ge0f841db4c1d1a81 (1).jpg
    35.9 KB · Views: 100
  • 5N25U65J83Kc3L73Nac9g4b3d1ce1bdf61df3 (1).jpg
    5N25U65J83Kc3L73Nac9g4b3d1ce1bdf61df3 (1).jpg
    41.4 KB · Views: 91

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
They look little. They also look very cute. The tank looks great, but looks small. If they are babies like they look, the tank will probably do for a little while. Let us know what you do. I say go for it, they are adorable.

shellysmom

10 Year Member!
Yup, I agree, go for it! The tank is too small though, IMO, but the concept is really nice.

PumpkinPie

5 Year Member
Visalia, CA
I agree with you guys. They are so cute!! I love the concept of the tank but I can just tell it's too small. So many people don't realize that turtles need lots of room. Hopefully I can get a bigger tank and copy her setup.... does anyone know how she put that divider in that is waterproof??? That is pretty awesome....If I knew how to do it I could just make them a bigger version. I already have a 47 gallon terrarium that is not being used.... do you think that would be big enough? Thanks guys!! I'm excited! ;):tort:

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
Cohabitation between CDT's and box turtles is of course possible, but not recommended. The main reason is they are different species and should be separate, the other is they have different dietary needs. Also remember tortoises don't usually like company.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Yeah, if you did get them and put them with your CDT, there might be some bullying going on depending on the various sizes. Then there is the issue a bacteria or virus on one species causing an actual illness in the other.

That said, they are very cute and look lively!
It is well worth asking her how she created that pool within the aquarium, it is really neat. It looks like the barrier is actually siliconed to the sides (and probably the bottom).

Good luck: hope it works out.

PumpkinPie

5 Year Member
Visalia, CA
You think?? I am not sure and she hasn't told me what kind.... but I am going to get them!!! I am sure we will figure it out once I get them home :D

kimber_lee_314 said:
Very cute! Look likt well taken care of three toeds. :)

Ok everyone, I am sooo going to get them!! I heard back from her, I was hoping to get a better idea of their size but some of her answers were a little evasive, but what matters the most is that they are friendly and healthy.... and SOO cute!!
She said that she bought them from a local pet store 2 years ago in march. They were babies not born too long before taking them home. She said the following...

"They half 3/4 of tank for sleeping and eating in dirt. The other 1/4 is water. It seems to be enough room for there size. I don't think they will grow any bigger at least not anytime soon. To be honest im having difficulty cleaning tank. I am small and the tank is too big and heavy to do a proper cleaning and changing of the water. It does have filters but can't remember the brand. The filter is the bag kind. The turtles are soo calm and loving to each other when I pet their heads they are shy never bite or anything. They like when I take them out so they can roam. I feed them the pellets and earth worms. I used to feed them crickets until this new tank because it has no lid. Ive had no health problems with them at all. As far as I know they are perfectly healthy."

Anyways, once I get them home I can figure things out. It may need a stronger filter, and I have a screen that should fit that tank, and if not I will make one.... until it is time to get them into a bigger tank. All of this I simply won't know until I get them here and have a better visual of my situation. But gosh, I am excited!!! :)

bmt123

5 Year Member
They seem to be three toe babies not very old. I would say that the tank would last for winter. Then once your tort goes back outside put them in that until u get an outdoor enclosure going. If u want a good care guide then i would get tess cooks box turtle book it has just about every thing about all species of boxies. I dont know what u mean by the filter.

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
The water section must have an underground filter.

Can't wait until you get them, they are adorable!

PumpkinPie

5 Year Member
Visalia, CA
she says the tank has a "bag type of filter" but she also says that she is having difficulty maintaining the upkeep of the tank and keeping it clean, so I am wondering if it needs a better filter for the water part of the tank. Obviously i will know more when i get them, and the tank and I can go from there.

i agree, they look like three toed, she said that they turned 2 in march..... i will look into the book.... thank you! ;)

bmt123 said:
They seem to be three toe babies not very old. I would say that the tank would last for winter. Then once your tort goes back outside put them in that until u get an outdoor enclosure going. If u want a good care guide then i would get tess cooks box turtle book it has just about every thing about all species of boxies. I dont know what u mean by the filter.

i can't wait either, I should be getting them on Wednesday! thanks for the help and support!! :D

lynnedit said:
The water section must have an underground filter.

Can't wait until you get them, they are adorable!

thank you for your help and advice!!! looks like i will be getting them on wednesday :D

bmt123 said:

katelyn0974

5 Year Member
Paradise
PumpkinPie said:
Hello everyone :)

I recently replied to this craigslist add for 2 box turtles that needed a good home. For a long time I have been wanting to get some turtles, or adopt another tort, but have been unsure which route to take so haven't done anything impulsive.

I randomly found this lady who loves her turtles but needs to find them a good home because she is having difficulty taking care of them. The add really of spoke to me because I wasn't even looking at that moment, I literally stumbled upon it, I like helping people, and especially animals.

I emailed her right away, and she responded back with a few additional pics. So far I still don't have a lot of information though... She is including the whole tank setup, which is pretty impressive. The problem with that is that the photo I got of the tank you can't see the turtles in it, and the photo's of the turtles don't show how big they are compared to the tank. So I am concerned about how big they are and if the tank is big enough for them, and if so, for how long.

So I asked her a slew of questions....

*Are they ornate turtles? They look like it but I am not sure
*Do you know how old they are?
*Are they fully grown?
*How much room do they currently have in that tank?
*What difficulties are you having caring for them?
*What is their behavior like? (towards you and each other)
*What do you feed them?
*What kind of filter are you currently using?
*How big is the tank that you are using?
*Do you know the sexes of the turtles?
*Are they healthy and have they ever had any health problems that you know of?
*Did you buy them from a breeder or a pet store?

I am waiting to hear back.... Even if I need to get them a bigger tank that's okay, I just want to know all of the information before I decide since she is located an hour drive from where I live.

Also, my dessert tort is about to come in the house because he has began brumation.... but in the future would it be okay to have my tort and the turtles together in my outdoor enclosure? I know it's a very debatable topic..... If they are all healthy, is it possible to do??

Any suggestions are much appreciated!! Here are pics of the turtles and the tank that I am thinking about adopting.....

Can anybody identify what it is in this enclosure that is separating the water from the land area? Thank you.

diaboliqueturtle

5 Year Member
Toronto, Canada
katelyn0974 said:
Can anybody identify what it is in this enclosure that is separating the water from the land area? Thank you.

I'm not sure about this particular one but I've seen that kind of "surf and turf" tank for sale. I can't remember where though, probably online. It had the holes to run the tubing for the water filter.
Now I'm inspired for my next setup ;-)

mainey34

5 Year Member
Peoria, Arizona
I agree the first pic I fell in love. I like the setup, but agreed to small. Go for it. You won't regret.

Status
Not open for further replies.