Maturity

Status
Not open for further replies.

Chinque

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Florida
How long does it take for a female Russian tortoise to mature? Well, let me clarify; how long does it take them to be fully grown? I've had daisy for a while and I feel like she hasn't really grown... She's getting her vitamins and minerals. I think it may because she's been growing so steadily that I haven't noticed. Anyway, back to the question... How long does it take for the to grow to full size? Thanks everybody! All comments appreciated! :cool:

lynnedit

10 Year Member!
Southwest Washington
Russian female eventually can reach 8-10 inches (measuring the bottom of the shell).
Does it look like there is growth starting in between the scutes?

You can measure her weight monthly (length will change more slowly), to see if she is making progress.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
They all grow at different rates and this is controlled by millions of variables. There is no accurate way to predict this. They are mature and able to breed by around 6-7 inches. Some of them reach that size in 4-5 years and others don't reach it after 20 years. Offering an "average" is really meaningless give the extreme range and number of variables.

Also, many reptiles have "indeterminate growth". Meaning they never stop growing. Growth rate will be faster at first, but slow down after maturity.

Status
Not open for further replies.