Matteo Going Nuts Over UV Lighting

Quixx66

Location (City and/or State)
Louisiana
Hi All,

Matteo is a Western Hermann’s tortoise. He’s in a Christmas tree bin. He was a few months old when I got him and he’s now a out 16 months old. As a hatchling, he seemed fine with the Arcadia light. He’d started to come out and wander areound his bin.

A few months ago, he began spending more time in his house, buried and sleeping. I bought new bulbs of the same kind. He was fine with the flood light for heat but still slept more. The issue is the Arcadia UV light. He’d run back to his house whenever I switched it one or start frantically scratching the corner of bin until I turned it off.

It’s been a couple of months since he’s had his UV light. Is this dangerous? I keep trying from time to time, but he reacts the same. Any idea what’s happening, and what I should do?

No current pics of bin. Broken down for cleaning, but I can add pics of how it looked a until a few months ago. I’ve rearranged the house to face the far end and removed the rocks. I already learned to pack the soil down so that’s changed as well but to be honest, Matteo just digs it back up anyway, lol!

Thanks! image.jpgimage.jpgimage.jpg5E492632-3150-45F0-9A0D-61D4FDE02110.jpegEE7EF0AD-6FC3-4CA3-B0FA-CF5E2DB35133.jpeg

Attachments

• FDCB45C9-375D-4A53-97F7-431483B020D3.jpeg
    FDCB45C9-375D-4A53-97F7-431483B020D3.jpeg
    282 KB · Views: 8
Last edited:

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
He can't go months without uvb unless he were hibernating.
Just use one tube uvb bulb at least 3-4 times a week unless you can get him outside for natural sunlight instead.

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Hi All,

Matteo is a Western Hermann’s tortoise. He’s in a Christmas tree bin. He was a few months old when I got him and he’s now a out 16 months old. As a hatchling, he seemed fine with the Arcadia light. He’d started to come out and wander areound his bin.

A few months ago, he began spending more time in his house, buried and sleeping. I bought new bulbs of the same kind. He was fine with the flood light for heat but still slept more. The issue is the Arcadia UV light. He’d run back to his house whenever I switched it one or start frantically scratching the corner of bin until I turned it off.

It’s been a couple of months since he’s had his UV light. Is this dangerous? I keep trying from time to time, but he reacts the same. Any idea what’s happening, and what I should do?

No current pics of bin. Broken down for cleaning, but I can add pics of how it looked a until a few months ago. I’ve rearranged the house to face the far end and removed the rocks. I already learned to pack the soil down so that’s changed as well but to be honest, Matteo just digs it back up anyway, lol!

Thanks! View attachment 333235View attachment 333234View attachment 333234View attachment 333238View attachment 333237
It looks like that light might be too close for a 12% HO T5. At about 20" you will normally get a UVI of 3.5-4.0 with that bulb and hood. It looks like you are more like 14"-15" judging by that 11" dome light. At 14" that would be too intense UVB exposure and very likely your issue. I also would strongly advise you put some plants in there for some natural cover and shade gradients. A tortoise would never choose to be in such a barren area. They always stay in areas where they can hide under plants. Your tortoise probably feels very stressed unable to find anywhere secure.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi All,

Thanks! View attachment 333235View attachment 333234View attachment 333234View attachment 333238View attachment 333237
I agree with Mark's assessment. Do you have a UV meter? That's the only way to know what your bulb is putting out. You should also firmly hand pack that coir. Its too loose.

Quixx66

Louisiana
It looks like that light might be too close for a 12% HO T5. At about 20" you will normally get a UVI of 3.5-4.0 with that bulb and hood. It looks like you are more like 14"-15" judging by that 11" dome light. At 14" that would be too intense UVB exposure and very likely your issue. I also would strongly advise you put some plants in there for some natural cover and shade gradients. A tortoise would never choose to be in such a barren area. They always stay in areas where they can hide under plants. Your tortoise probably feels very stressed unable to find anywhere secure.
Oh, my! I’ll look for a hanger of some sort. I do have both real and fake plants on order right now. He had some fake ones before, and come to think of it, he did spend time under them. I removed them because they got brittle and smelled under the light. I’m planning to also order to marjoram and spider plants. That could explain everything! Thank you!

Quixx66

Louisiana
I agree with Mark's assessment. Do you have a UV meter? That's the only way to know what your bulb is putting out. You should also firmly hand pack that coir. Its too loose.
I don’t have a UV meter. I guess I’ll have to save up. I’ll pack the coir. I took your advise to do it before but Matteo had a hard time digging and started sleeping on top. Guess I did it too hard! I’ll try to do it again. Thank you!

Quixx66

Louisiana
Oh, my! I’ll look for a hanger of some sort. I do have both real and fake plants on order right now. He had some fake ones before, and come to think of it, he did spend time under them. I removed them because they got brittle and smelled under the light. I’m planning to also order to marjoram and spider plants. That could explain everything! Thank you!
Yikes, the bin is only 11” tall! I was burning my poor baby! No wonder! I think I found a riser. It’s made specifically for Arcadia but the tallest unless custom is only 5.5 inches added height. Do I need more? And that t he bull to surface measurement? Thanks.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Yikes, the bin is only 11” tall! I was burning my poor baby! No wonder! I think I found a riser. It’s made specifically for Arcadia but the tallest unless custom is only 5.5 inches added height. Do I need more? And that t he bull to surface measurement? Thanks.
You do need more. Make a rack over the top of the enclosure from 2x4s or pvc pipe and hang it from that with some light chain. Approximately 20 inches from bulb to surface should work, but we are only guessing without a meter.

Quixx66

Louisiana
You do need more. Make a rack over the top of the enclosure from 2x4s or pvc pipe and hang it from that with some light chain. Approximately 20 inches from bulb to surface should work, but we are only guessing without a meter.
I’m not that handy. Could I do the pipe one with a regular saw? I found this, and the manufacturer accepts custom sizes. What do you think? I’m trying to save for a SMART Enclosure by Mark so I don’t want to spend too much though I do want the right item. Thanks!

jaizei

Unknown Member
10 Year Member!
Earth
I’m not that handy. Could I do the pipe one with a regular saw? I found this, and the manufacturer accepts custom sizes. What do you think? I’m trying to save for a SMART Enclosure by Mark so I don’t want to spend too much though I do want the right item. Thanks!

Very easy to make with PVC. A regular saw should work.

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Zoo Med makes a light stand that comes in two sizes. Get two of the larger ones.