Mating to laying

tomo256

Location (City and/or State)
Milford Haven U.K.
Hi everyone.
New to the forum although I did introduce myself last year and have just been observing so far. We removed our pair of mature Horsefield torts from fridge a week ago. They seem happy enough. We have bathed them every day and they have both eaten a little. We are keeping them in a greenhouse which has a separate outdoor pen, although there is a partition between them at the moment.
We were informed they had been a breeding pair when we got them. We intend to put them together shortly in the hope they will mate.
My question is how long after mating (if it happens) will she lay eggs ? Just want to be ahead of the game. We have had spur thighed torts for over 30 years but lost the last of them last year, so a new chapter begins.
Thanks
Martin

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
You really can't go by that because female tortoises can hold sperm for several years until they're comfortable about finding just the right nesting spot.

tomo256

Milford Haven U.K.
You really can't go by that because female tortoises can hold sperm for several years until they're comfortable about finding just the right nesting spot.
Hi Yvonne.
Thanks for the reply and input, yes I have done some research and was aware of the female laying several clusters of eggs from one mating. I was just approaching it from the start. As if they had never mated before. Guess I will just have to keep a keen eye on her. We had to keep them apart late last year as he was giving her a hard time then. I was going to separate them again after mating for her safety.
Martin

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Hi Yvonne.
Thanks for the reply and input, yes I have done some research and was aware of the female laying several clusters of eggs from one mating. I was just approaching it from the start. As if they had never mated before. Guess I will just have to keep a keen eye on her. We had to keep them apart late last year as he was giving her a hard time then. I was going to separate them again after mating for her safety.
Martin
Usually 4-6 weeks. If this is her first time laying, you may see some duds on the surface first. It sometimes takes a round or two to "prime the pump".

Also, just because he mounts her, does not mean the deed was done. Many people try to breed Russians for years with no success, and it happens for other people without even trying sometimes.