Mating Dance?

Status
Not open for further replies.

lori12386

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Central Florida
I have never had turtles breed. But im pretty sure they my male is trying to get some... Lol. I have actually seen then "do it". But how do i know if she is pregnant? I will have to move her to another tank to lay if need be. They will be mutt turtles... He is a Map and she is a type of Cooter i think. Here is a video i took:
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=o0h48y6KUis&feature=youtube_gdata_player

lizbeth490

5 Year Member
Pembroke Pines
Thats definately the mating dance, and you have to keep an eye on her because if she is pregnant she will do everything she can to get out of the tank and find dirt, including flipping herself out on to the floor. I had one flip herself out, thankfully onto carpet and she made her way to my closet and layed in a pile of clothes.....really weird. Just keep an eye out for weird behavior

lori12386

5 Year Member
Central Florida
lizbeth490 said:
Thats definately the mating dance, and you have to keep an eye on her because if she is pregnant she will do everything she can to get out of the tank and find dirt, including flipping herself out on to the floor. I had one flip herself out, thankfully onto carpet and she made her way to my closet and layed in a pile of clothes.....really weird. Just keep an eye out for weird behavior

Is there a way to tell if she is pregnant? I have been watching her. If she is pregnant i will put her in another tank or a kiddie pool to lay eggs... With dirt and water and such.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I am unsure if maps and cooters can interbreed. The male will mate even if he can't produce any offspring, I doubt a turtle will become gravid from such a mating.

lori12386

5 Year Member
Central Florida
lizbeth490 said:

I just noticed you have a Shar pei. I would love to see him. One of my favorite breeds. I have a Shar Pei/ Lab mix.

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I don't know anything about turtles laying. However, couldn't you count the days until its close to her time to lay and then put her in the appropriate enclosure ?

lori12386

5 Year Member
Central Florida
dmmj said:
I am unsure if maps and cooters can interbreed. The male will mate even if he can't produce any offspring, I doubt a turtle will become gravid from such a mating.

Hmm. Im not sure. I have only had him like six months. He was being treated horrible in a pet store in a back room with no light. Shell was peeling and everything. I have had her since a baby. She might be close to two years old. So im not even sure she is old enough. I have no clue how old he is.

wellington said:
I don't know anything about turtles laying. However, couldn't you count the days until its close to her time to lay and then put her in the appropriate enclosure ?

Yeah. Which i will. But im not sure they have actually done the deed yet?

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Two years old is not old enough to sex the gender, or lay eggs, so to answer your question it is not gravid, way to young.

lori12386

5 Year Member
Central Florida
dmmj said:
Two years old is not old enough to sex the gender, or lay eggs, so to answer your question it is not gravid, way to young.

Im pretty sure she is a she. Tiny tail, flat belly, short claws. Its a lot easier then a tort.

dmmj

10 Year Member!
CA
Those are female characteristics but at that age, no signs of male or female can be found. They all look female until the claws and tail start to grow.

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
What is her straight carapace length? Her age is irrelevant. Your map *is* a male and your cooter *is* a female. If the female has an scl of ~6" or greater, she can potentially lay. They are far more likely to lay at a larger size than that, however, and 6" animals laying is more of an exception than not.

It is likely that the map and the cooter can reproduce. Maps, sliders, and diamondbacks can all produce hybrid offspring, some of which may be stunningly beautiful (especially map x DBT). She would require a nesting/laying area if there is to be a high probability of success. You can fish out expelled eggs in a window and still have them be viable if she drops them in the water, but this dampens your chances and it is likely that they will be damaged and/or eaten before you would get to them. Not having a nesting site also may stress the female.

lori12386

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Baoh said:
What is her straight carapace length? Her age is irrelevant. Your map *is* a male and your cooter *is* a female. If the female has an scl of ~6" or greater, she can potentially lay. They are far more likely to lay at a larger size than that, however, and 6" animals laying is more of an exception than not.

It is likely that the map and the cooter can reproduce. Maps, sliders, and diamondbacks can all produce hybrid offspring, some of which may be stunningly beautiful (especially map x DBT). She would require a nesting/laying area if there is to be a high probability of success. You can fish out expelled eggs in a window and still have them be viable if she drops them in the water, but this dampens your chances and it is likely that they will be damaged and/or eaten before you would get to them. Not having a nesting site also may stress the female.

Thanks. I will measure her when i get home from work. I can move her to a proper "nesting" area. Is there a way to tell if she is pregnant?

lizbeth490

5 Year Member
Pembroke Pines
lori12386 said:
lizbeth490 said:

I just noticed you have a Shar pei. I would love to see him. One of my favorite breeds. I have a Shar Pei/ Lab mix.

I am not exactly sure how to tell if shes prego, if I did mine wouldnt have layed in a pile of clothes! LOL

and here is a couple pics of Sharpie, he's actually a mini shar-pei :)
002.jpg

Photo02171904_1.jpg

lori12386

5 Year Member
Central Florida
[/quote]

I am not exactly sure how to tell if shes prego, if I did mine wouldnt have layed in a pile of clothes! LOL

and here is a couple pics of Sharpie, he's actually a mini

Awwe. He is adorable. My shar pei/lab is 73lbs! He carries all his skin around his neck. Lol. Here is my Leroy:
IMG_20120524_194030.jpg
IMG_20121008_064317.jpg
And here is Cinnamon...
20121029_161405-1.jpg
20121029_161555-1.jpg
View attachment 31438
20121029_161434-1.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
lori12386 said:
Baoh said:

Thanks. I will measure her when i get home from work. I can move her to a proper "nesting" area. Is there a way to tell if she is pregnant?

I do not know of a reliable way. Some say you can feel/palpate them, but I would not know about that.

Borderline in terms of size. Possible, but not highly probable at this point.

lori12386

5 Year Member
Central Florida
Ok. Thanks. I will keep an eye on her just in case.
Baoh said:
lori12386 said:
Baoh said:

I do not know of a reliable way. Some say you can feel/palpate them, but I would not know about that.

Borderline in terms of size. Possible, but not highly probable at this point.

lizbeth490

5 Year Member
Pembroke Pines
Both of them are very cute! Goodluck with the turtle, she def looks like the borderline on the size of being able to mate or not.

lori12386

5 Year Member
Central Florida
So it has been close to two months since i saw them "dancing". I have noticed Cinnamon had been digging a lot at the bottom of the tank. Could this be a sign she is pregnant and needs to lay eggs? If so i will move her into a tank with dirt.
Im not sure how long it takes.

Status
Not open for further replies.