Mary Knobbins

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
Mary had her second visit with the Vet this morning at 9. At 11 they called to say she had received fluids (at additional cost) and was now being put under sedation. Really???! So now it's 1 pm and no word. Some of you know I lost my 120+ Sulcata who never came out of sedation, so maybe I'm a little more anxious then I might be. Tortoises just don't handle gas anesthesia well and I'm am not very calm...
100_7674.JPG

zovick

10 Year Member!
Mary had her second visit with the Vet this morning at 9. At 11 they called to say she had received fluids (at additional cost) and was now being put under sedation. Really???! So now it's 1 pm and no word. Some of you know I lost my 120+ Sulcata who never came out of sedation, so maybe I'm a little more anxious then I might be. Tortoises just don't handle gas anesthesia well and I'm am not very calm...
View attachment 328278
Well, good luck. Why was she at the vet to begin with? Sorry if I missed something, but cannot recall if I ever knew why or not.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Oh my... please keep us posted....poor Mary

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Good idea. It may take several visits spaced out over a year or so to get the bite really correct.
I guess inside myself I knew that. But I was seriously disappointed. I'm not sure what I was expecting...
Last night after she was home I was talking it over with my grandson (he's my first grandson 33 yrs), and he pointed out that whatever it looks like, it's better than it was and she can eat better. I turn into neurotic Nellie about sedation. First thing this morning I went out to check on her, she's still not looking or acting right. No doubt, she's feeling the after effects but to me her eyes are still stoned, she was in the exact same corner she was in last night. I turned her around and when I moved her, she tucked in so tight both elbows touching and I thought, there goes 3 years of rescue care to show her it ain't bad here and get her to semi trust me down the toilet.

The 2 Vet visits cost a total of $225, she would need sedation every few months. Maybe I'm simply projecting

1624741269359.jpg

ZenHerper

New Jersey
((hugs))

Your worry is completely understandable.

Animals do have personalities and psychological states of mind that interact with their memories.

But when they're stoned out of their minds, they can behave as weirdly and out-of-character as our brains do on drugs. Give yourselves some time to let the stress hormones and sedatives wash out and to get back into rhythm.

The usual: water, good temps, favorite foods.

mastershake

5 Year Member
Florida
there really is not a easy way to trim without sedation sadly. thats the issue. try to feed on a ceramic plate this will also help to wear it down some as they eat. generally we use a very light sedation when we put them under for only a trim (depends on your vet though as to what they do) but we just basically make them dopey and dont really fully put them under as if for full on surgery here. we work with some great vets though who will listen to what we want and work with us. generally if the vet it good they will be just fine. i do hate to see them go under to many times unless its very necc.

MenagerieGrl

Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
El Sobrante, CA.
Maggie, it is very understandable to be apprehensive about sedation. It is not a easy procedure, for anyone, all creatures react differently. At least she came out of it, w/o any major problems. I have my fingers crossed for Mary. ?