Mary Knobbins #1

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
PacificNorthWest
Well, Mary is the only Sulcata I have now. I am thinking about looking for a juvenile or hatchling. Mary is proving to be a really nice tortoise. Now she's my only Sulcata so she has all the pens to herself. But I'm thinking because she's in the big Sulcata pen now, she's bored, there's absolutely no way she can make trouble...lol...so if anyone is looking for a great Sulcata home, I'm here and need another tortoise...
Anyway, here's Mary, she may not be very pretty, but she sure is wonderfully different:
I threw her a head of romaine and she acted like she hadn't eaten in months. lol
100_5623.JPG
she attacks it, like it's alive
100_5618.JPG
oh my attack
100_5643.JPG
satisfaction!
100_5629.JPG

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Her number one fan loves the pictures! Thank you

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Lynn's said Bert should be your new tortoise name if you do get another sulcata. LOL I hope you like The movie??

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
I wish I could have big tortoises, but Connecticut isn’t conducive to that. I guess I’ll have to live vicariously through you and Mary Knobbins. She’s ADORABLE!!!
I live in the Pacific Northwest, when I moved here from California 15 years ago I traded too hot for ice and snow. At the least it rains here 7 months outa 12. Winters have been getting warmer. I brought Sulcata with me from the 100 degree Calif valley, and set them up with a large heated and insulated shed. Possibly where I am going with this discourse is, I have had Sulcata the whole time I have lived in the PNW. I have changed my opinion on keeping Sulcata in the cold. I am beginning to see or maybe feel, that it's pretty selfish to take a tortoise from a Valley in Calif that was much like their homeland weather wise, to a Valley in Oregon that is pretty much the opposite from what they really need. Yes, I made a tort shed that was about as good as it gets. Insulated floors walls ceiling, but after 15 years of tortoise urine, spilled water dishes and the skunks and 'coons who live under the shed and use the pink insulation for nesting, the floor feels cold now. My light fixtures, bulbs, humidity and fans are all old fashioned now. I certainly can't afford to up grade. The outside pens get moss growing across the smothering the grass. Anyway, my point is that I personally am starting to think it's pretty selfish to demand that a very old tortoise species get used to and thrive in a cold environment.
Thanks for your compliment on Mary. However, she is the devil incarnate. The only reason she is not raising heck outside now is because she is in the pen/pens that are square, or rectangle with capped corners so there is place to get into trouble. I do believe she is bored silly. I open her doggie door every morning before 8. Rain, sno, ice and ugly she has the free choice to come and go at her whim, she is waiting at her door so she can go outside. And she goes in and out and grazes pulling up the soaked grasses with roots intact. I did see her in the middle of winter, everything cold and almost freezing, and there is Mary Knobbins, in that basking position that every tortoise in every country uses, she found the one sun beam in the rain. In the rain lol She's not one for eating mud.
And I know 'I' enjoy sitting outside in the sun and watching the tortoises be tortoises.

Reactions: Ink

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Lynn's said Bert should be your new tortoise name if you do get another sulcata. LOL I hope you like The movie??
How do we get her to enjoy box turtles the way she enjoys big torts? I been thinkin that maybe box turtles would be easier in my old age than dinosaurs lolol Bert hmmm:tort:

• Love
Reactions: Ink

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
I had a box turtle growing up. I love their personalities.

Ink

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Virginia
Lynn's only acknowledges 2of my tortoises. Ink because he has been around 14+ years. So they have grown up together and Miss.Dexter Persimmons because she wanted to rescue him. I believe he looks like a mini Mary Knobbins. Bumpy around the edges..