Marmaduke. Herman's tortoise?

TeamZissou

Location (City and/or State)
Albuquerque, NM
It's definitely not an Eastern Hermann's tortoise. I would lean towards Western rather than Dalmatian due to the narrowness of the head. However, it does not have solid bands of black on the plastron, which would indicate Dalmatian. I don't think it's guaranteed that Westerns always have solid black bands though.

Marmaduke lacks a nuchal scute, which is interesting.

I'd be interested in @HermanniChris ' take.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
You 100% have an eastern Hermann’s tortoise (T. h. boettgeri) it just looks slightly different because it may be from a different region originally than the others. It does not bear the traits of a pure western or pure Dalmatian at all. So, there’s a chance it could be a hybrid but I’m not seeing much that confirms that. If you can take really good pics in good lighting I can be sure if it’s a hybrid. Either way, not a western or Dalmatian.

TeamZissou

Location (City and/or State)
Albuquerque, NM
You 100% have an eastern Hermann’s tortoise (T. h. boettgeri) it just looks slightly different because it may be from a different region originally than the others. It does not bear the traits of a pure western or pure Dalmatian at all. So, there’s a chance it could be a hybrid but I’m not seeing much that confirms that. If you can take really good pics in good lighting I can be sure if it’s a hybrid. Either way, not a western or Dalmatian.

I guess I was thrown off by the non V-shaped line at the pectoral scutes. I thought it would be a perfect V if it were an Eastern? This looked more like the U-shaped line that you show on your site.

The head does look quite bulbous in the new photos.

HermanniChris

TFO Sponsor
10 Year Member!
I guess I was thrown off by the non V-shaped line at the pectoral scutes. I thought it would be a perfect V if it were an Eastern? This looked more like the U-shaped line that you show on your site.

The head does look quite bulbous in the new photos.
That would actually not be considered a U but more of a V with a slight wave in it. Everything is always and forever subject to variation, that’s the challenge. Once you see enough of these things it comes so much easier to you but even still, there are tricky ones.