marginated tortoise

Status
Not open for further replies.

colin33

5 Year Member
Hi guys looking for some help and advice really.

I have noticed over the past few days is when one of my tortoises wakes up one of her eyes seems like it is sore.

When i look at her eye it seems like she is crying as a little bit of fluid is coming out.

Later on when i check her her eyes seem fine and clear, we have two marginated tortoises.

We use sand in their house, could it be she has some sand stook in her eye, also in the near corner of her eye it seems like she has like another eyelid sometimes, correct me if im wrong.

many thanks

drxl34

5 Year Member
Same problem with me he gets some dirt in his eye I think there are eye drops available

colin33

5 Year Member
drxl34 said:
Same problem with me he gets some dirt in his eye I think there are eye drops available

Do you know which ones to get and where do you get them from? thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Hi Colin:

I think you should get rid of the sand and try something different. You can flush the eyeball with saline solution just to be sure there's nothing in it. In my opinion, it might be because the tortoise is being kept too dry.

colin33

5 Year Member
emysemys said:
Hi Colin:

I think you should get rid of the sand and try something different. You can flush the eyeball with saline solution just to be sure there's nothing in it. In my opinion, it might be because the tortoise is being kept too dry.

Thanks for the reply, when you say too dry do you mean the enclosure or the actual tortoises? Do you know where I can buy a solution, I'm from the uk, any good sites? Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Yes, I mean the enclosure. Its quite ok to wet your substrate (unless you use a substrate that molds). The lights quickly dry out the top layer, but the moisture underneath helps keep down the dust.

You can buy saline solution at any pharmacy.

Status
Not open for further replies.