Marginated tortoise whistling when breathing

Kenny H

Location (City and/or State)
South Carolina
Hey guys,
This is my first post in the forum! I have a yearling marginated tortoise named Sherman, he has recently been whistling occasionally when he is walking and basking. He is in a 3x2 wooden tortoise enclosure with a basking area ranging from 85 to 90 degrees F and an ambient area ranging from 72-78 degrees F. Also his humidity typically is around 50-75% but can drop to 30% at certain parts of the day. He has shown no other signs of a URI it is just the whistle coming from his nares. Should I try to get an appointment at a veterinarian clinic (during this whole COVID crisis), or should I just monitor him for further symptoms? thanks in advance you guys!

Attachments

• DBF13B07-0D9D-4182-96C2-B0FE708B7785.jpeg
    DBF13B07-0D9D-4182-96C2-B0FE708B7785.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 12

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Low desert 50 mi SE of Palm Springs CA
Taking him to a vet at this stage may do him more harm than good.

Bump his temps up a bit: basking 95 deg F, and ambient 80 deg F. Make sure to check the temp at the coolest spot in the enclosure...don't let it go below 80, day and night.

I would also increase his humidity to 75-80%, but keep it there. Don't let it drop at any time. You will need to close off the top of his enclosure if it's currently open in order to maintain these temps and humidity.

Assuming he starts to improve, keep these settings until 2 weeks after all symptoms are gone. After the 2 weeks, you can go back to proper temps for this species.

Kenny H

South Carolina

Bump his temps up a bit: basking 95 deg F, and ambient 80 deg F. Make sure to check the temp at the coolest spot in the enclosure...don't let it go below 80, day and night.

I would also increase his humidity to 75-80%, but keep it there. Don't let it drop at any time. You will need to close off the top of his enclosure if it's currently open in order to maintain these temps and humidity.

Assuming he starts to improve, keep these settings until 2 weeks after all symptoms are gone. After the 2 weeks, you can go back to proper temps for this species.
Will do thanks!

Kenny H

South Carolina

Also, do you have any suggestions on how to seal off an open air habitat to keep in humidity? I have a zoo-med tortoise table. Thanks
-Kenny

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Also, do you have any suggestions on how to seal off an open air habitat to keep in humidity? I have a zoo-med tortoise table. Thanks
-Kenny
You can use PVC or wood to make a framework that is attached to your table. Then use a piece of plastic like a shower curtain to drape over the framework, to the outside of your tort table. You've ended up with a "tent" over the table.

This is similar to what I'm trying to describe.
Go to post # 8 in this thread....

The frame goes vertically, and you make it with a bar that horizontally covers the length of your table. You hang your lights, CHE, etc from the bar. The plastic holds the heat and humidity in.

Kenny H

South Carolina
You can use PVC or wood to make a framework that is attached to your table. Then use a piece of plastic like a shower curtain to drape over the framework, to the outside of your tort table. You've ended up with a "tent" over the table.

This is similar to what I'm trying to describe.
Go to post # 8 in this thread....

The frame goes vertically, and you make it with a bar that horizontally covers the length of your table. You hang your lights, CHE, etc from the bar. The plastic holds the heat and humidity in.
UPDATE: this is the set up I created to trap in humidity. Any other pointers or anything like that about whistling from nares and what it could possibly be? Thanks for all the help :)

Attachments

• 659DBC99-F2A4-4DF9-9C54-9DDED055DBD7.jpeg
    659DBC99-F2A4-4DF9-9C54-9DDED055DBD7.jpeg
    1.6 MB · Views: 12

KarenSoCal

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
UPDATE: this is the set up I created to trap in humidity. Any other pointers or anything like that about whistling from nares and what it could possibly be? Thanks for all the help :)
I'm happy to help! That's why we're here.

It looks like you've done a good job with your tent.

The reason I suggested you do this is because any noises with breathing can be a sign of an Upper Respiratory Infection (URI).
When caught in the early stages and kept well heated and humid, many times it will clear on its own. That's what we're hoping for here.

I would just monitor him for a few days to see if there is any improvement. If it doesn't get better, or gets worse, a trip to the vet will be needed.

I'm going to tag a member who is extremely experienced and see if she has any additional advice for now.

But I'm really hoping he starts to sound better.

Keep up his soaks daily. If he stops eating for 2 or 3 days, let us know.

@Yvonne G
Any more advice here?

Stitchers

Charleston, Wv
My tortoise (Sulcata) has been whistling since he was a baby.
it freaks me out... but usually loudest if he’s heavy breathing.
I would only worry if it’s new.