1. Welcome! Are you interested in tortoises? If so, we invite you to join our community! Our community is the #1 place for tortoise keepers to talk online. Once you join you'll be able to post messages, upload pictures of your tortoise and enclosure, and discuss any tortoise topic with other tortoise keepers. Get started today!

Marginated sex

Discussion in 'Marginated tortoises' started by Afbhappy, Aug 30, 2019.

Help Support Tortoise Forums by donating:

?

Is Willard a Mr. or Mrs?

1. Male

0 vote(s)
    0.0%
  2. Female

1 vote(s)
    100.0%
  1. Afbhappy

Afbhappy New Member

Location (City and/or State):
    San diego ca
    Well, I took Willard (1.5 year old marginated) in to the tort expert to see if he was a Mrs. or a Mr. The guy said with all certainty that he was a she. He showed me her tail and how short it is and the distance from here to there, so on and so forth. She also doesn't have a big indentation on the underside of her shell. Imagine my surprise when within the week I saw something (possibly genitalia?) sticking out when she was straining to flip herself over. It was pink and moved in an out of her(?) tail. Because of how it behaved I decided it was nothing to be concerned about as far as Willard's health. Ive read that both male and female torts can stick out their genitals like that. I suppose we are just a gender neutral household until this mystery is solved.

Final question: what do you guys think- male or female? or if not genitalia what is this sticking out of the butt hole?? haha

thanks
    Cathie G likes this.
  2. Cathie G

Cathie G Well-Known Member

Lancaster
    (These ads do not appear for registered members.)
    Oh my garsh...too funny. I'm not an expert but post a picture and someone can tell you better then me. I always thought that 1.5 years would be too young to tell but I'd like to see the answers you get.
  3. Cheryl Hills

Cheryl Hills Well-Known Member

Youngstown, Ohio
    Can’t see the pictures. Says I don’t have permission
    Cathie G likes this.
  4. Yvonne G

Yvonne G Old Timer TFO Admin 10 Year Member! Platinum Tortoise Club

Clovis, CA
    Usually on the Mediterranean type tortoises, you can tell sex by the description of the cloaca - a star-shaped cloaca generally means female and a slit shape (like your tortoise) means male. He's still too small to have the more general male characteristics, but I'm going with male.
    Cathie G and Afbhappy like this.
  5. Afbhappy

Afbhappy New Member

San diego ca
    @Yvonne G, thank you! that was very helpful! I looked up some more info about star and slit shaped torts and it looks like you are right! I am voting male on Willard. The information on the web about torts is so jumbled up, I usually try to decipher what everything means for Willard based on what people say about all kinds of other more popular species. I will give it some years yet, but Im thinking ill stick to male ponouns for now. Darn, I was getting excited about eggs. @Cathie G , There is a video, Im not sure everyone can see it, but I posted to the best of my ability.
    Cathie G likes this.