Marbling in Northern

Status
Not open for further replies.

HarleyK

5 Year Member
My northern RF Harley is a little over 2 years old now. He has some marbling between only sections of scutes.

What's interesting is the marbling is not throughout the shell, only certain sections. Does marbling also stay into adulthood?

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
Harley ....from what I can see in the pic .. you little guy actually is showing new growth ...the white in-between the lines is the " new keratin layer" which will eventually darken. Unless Perhaps you could show us another picture .....Marbling is unique among Northerns’ but not unherd of . Would love to see some more pics.

JD:D

HarleyK

5 Year Member
N2TORTS said:
Harley ....from what I can see in the pic .. you little guy actually is showing new growth ...the white in-between the lines is the " new keratin layer" which will eventually darken. Unless Perhaps you could show us another picture .....Marbling is unique among Northerns’ but not unherd of . Would love to see some more pics.

JD:D

I attached some pics.

Just some background: I bought my redfoot at a reptile expo 2 years ago at 1.5" and he has grown a lot!

Excuse the dirt on his face :D He has an outdoor pen and sits in the mud from time to time :) Let me know what you guys think. I do believe this is marbling?

Untitled-4.jpg

Untitled-2.jpg

Untitled-1.jpg

Untitled-3.jpg

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
GREAT SHOTS ...... YUPPERS ... YA GOT SOME MARBLE ~ :D
Heres another lil screamer Northern with some Marbling......." yellow at that " ;)
Marb3.jpg
rr16.jpg

and I agree your little guy is stunning!

JD~:)

HarleyK

5 Year Member
N2TORTS said:
Heres another lil screamer Northern with some Marbling......." yellow at that " ;)
Marb3.jpg
rr16.jpg

Thanks for the compliments! That northern is beautiful! Does marbling stay into adulthood or does it typically fade?

Crystal2807

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
I was wondering what exactly 'marbling' was, now I know. HarleyK, that is the most intense yellow head ever! What a cutie.

N2TORTS

5 Year Member
HarleyK said:
N2TORTS said:
Marb3.jpg
rr16.jpg

Thanks for the compliments! That northern is beautiful! Does marbling stay into adulthood or does it typically fade?

It will fade a bit ....like all tortoises when reaching adulthood. But the acutal pattern and color difference will remain "different" but does change shape "grows" as the tortoise matures. A really good example of this is with Radi's ( they look nothing like alike from a hatchling into it's Jr/adult years)
Not Northerns but here are some Cherry Head Rf's .....with marbling
Here is an Adult Female 12 year old Cherry I have had since a hatchling....
Marble.jpg

and some other examples ...
Marb1.jpg
ultra1-1.jpg
Another Adult female 11"
AdultCherryFemaleHeadshot2.jpg
mbl2.jpg
mbl6.jpg

JD~

Status
Not open for further replies.