Map turtles in Northern California

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
Hello,

I'm curious if anyone has any opinions on which map turtle sub-species they really enjoy. I'm looking to get a pair of hatchling map turtles to raise in a ~120 gallon indoor aquarium and eventually transition to outdoor in a few years. I'm currently in northern california. It doesn't seem like the places I've looked into previously for turtles (turtlesource/underground reptiles) have map turtles currently, but I figured since there are so many folks out this way that keep and breed them that someone might have a local breeder they like.

Any thoughts/opinions on particular sub species or breeders is appreciated. : )

Location (City and/or State)
Redwood City, CA, United States
What part of northern Cali? Like way up by red bluff its 150 degrees or freezing where as we have that buffer zone here in the bay area for future outdoor living.... and i in no way meant that as a critique. I'm always curious about the resourcefulness we caretakers have in designing their new habitats. Some of our shell babies luxury estates even I want to move into??

Paschendale52

5 Year Member
I'm in the east Bay Area so we don't ever get what would traditionally be called "cold." That doesn't stop people from walking around in their North Face puffer jackets rated for 0 °F as soon as it hits 60 °F around here, but I can't imagine the turtles notice that.

I would have gladly bought some Maps from you Mark, but alas I got excited and pulled the trigger using Underground Reptiles who I've used before. I made a post about it earlier since it was an interesting and exciting/stressful process (though not due to their fault) as UPS's nominal 10:30 am Friday delivery time turned out to be a Saturday evening delivery. They also sent 4 turtles which are blends of Mississippi and Ouachita instead of the 2 that I paid for. I called them talk about it and they said "Oh, our bad. We'll give you a discount next time" which I think is an amusing response to having sent more turtles than were paid for.

Do you breed many of the species you keep Mark? I know you have the Spotted turtle colony and a whole lot of others. I'm hoping in the not too distance future (years not months) to have more space and raise more turtles, but I'm full to the limits right now.

Cheers,
Will

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
I'm in the east Bay Area so we don't ever get what would traditionally be called "cold." That doesn't stop people from walking around in their North Face puffer jackets rated for 0 °F as soon as it hits 60 °F around here, but I can't imagine the turtles notice that.

I would have gladly bought some Maps from you Mark, but alas I got excited and pulled the trigger using Underground Reptiles who I've used before. I made a post about it earlier since it was an interesting and exciting/stressful process (though not due to their fault) as UPS's nominal 10:30 am Friday delivery time turned out to be a Saturday evening delivery. They also sent 4 turtles which are blends of Mississippi and Ouachita instead of the 2 that I paid for. I called them talk about it and they said "Oh, our bad. We'll give you a discount next time" which I think is an amusing response to having sent more turtles than were paid for.

Do you breed many of the species you keep Mark? I know you have the Spotted turtle colony and a whole lot of others. I'm hoping in the not too distance future (years not months) to have more space and raise more turtles, but I'm full to the limits right now.

Cheers,
Will
I let the turtles do their "thing" in the pond area. Fall and the next early spring is a surprise finding all sorts of turtle babies. I do try to watch for the spotted nesting, and dig those up to incubate inside. I have 12 different species in the pond.