Many Thanks & A Few Questions

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Ga
I just read this on a separate site -- our house is usually about 70F. So, according to this I'd need the 80 watt... if I use the thermostatically controlled plug, would it make much difference if I got the 80 watt just in case?

With the sizes available, you might be wondering what size you need.
  • A 2’x4’ enclosure or smaller in a 75° F+ room a 40 watt RHP will do the job. If your enclosure is taller, you will want to set up basking areas that are raised to give your animal a temperature gradient. If your room is under 74° F, you’ll want to move up to an 80 watt panel.
  • For enclosures 2’x6’ you would typically use an 80 watt panel.
  • The 120 watt RHP is best for enclosures larger than 2’x6’, open air enclosures or rooms with cooler temperatures.
  • These guidelines are not hard and fast rules. Depending on your enclosure height and ambient temperature, the best heat panel for you may be different than the above recommendations.
Wouldn't make a difference if you used a thermostat. Would probably save you from having to buy a bigger one if you ever upgrade the enclosure to a bigger size too.

lyingcat8

Indianapolis
@Tom

Here's the Mazuri I was using - I now see that it says LS right on the front *facepalm* -- I also had this small bag of bigger sized pellets. Is this one

1.jpg
2.jpg

lyingcat8

Indianapolis

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
I meant to say "Is this one Ok?" but failed to complete my thought... the bottom one in the black bag is the one I'm wondering about?
Can we see the pellets from the black bag? Looks like the original type from the ingredients.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Thank you!! I can see there is an obvious difference, but why is one preferred over the other?
The new stuff is more like feeding a healthy salad to a kid, and the old stuff is more like pizza and ice cream. Not nutritionally, but as far as the tortoises taste buds are concerned.

Also, when they first came out with the new stuff, no amount of soaking would make it turn to much like the original, and only my larger tortoises could even swallow it. However, they didn't like it. I got my bigger sulcatas to eat my free sample of the LS by mixing it with soaked original Mazuri.

Sue Ann

chapin , South Carolina
So, we got our Critter Condo all set-up. Pepperoni is a smidge stressed by the new set-up and is just walking all over the place, but it’s holding heat and humidity really well. So far the pig blanket we have is keeping the temps up nicely and the substrate is helping with humidity! We went ahead and put the humidifier in the tank and have it set to go off every 1.5 hours for 30 minutes.

Set-up was exceedingly easy. The material is very soft, it isn’t wood — and neither myself or boyfriend could figure out what it is made of. Either way, we love it so far. It’s very light weight and reasonably priced. I’ll let y’all know if anything crops up that changes that opinion!

View attachment 283173
View attachment 283174
Your tort is really cute. I love the log, is it real? Did you hollow it?