Manouria intergrades in the 'for sale' section

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Will has posted an ad to sell the 4 intergrades we have. He has had a bit of a lapse in memory that I wanted to correct here.

About 16 years ago Will moved to the east coast, leaving his larger tortoises here in my care. At that time I had a young male Mep and a young female Mep of his. Later that year he took in an aged female Mee, Magumba, and sent it to me to add to our collection.

For the next couple of years the male Mep, Darth, was practice-breeding anything in their yard. I didn't think he was big enough yet to be doing any good, so I left them all together in the same yard.

Magumba started nest-building, dragging leaf litter and garden trash into their house, and eventually laid 50 eggs, 49 of which were incubated (one broke). Nineteen of the eggs hatched. Will and I split the babies. I sold all of mine and he sold his, but kept back the four that are now for sale on the Forum.

So, the 'dam' is Magumba, the wild-caught, but long term captive Mee and the 'sire' is Darth, the young captive-bred and randy Mep. Will has the parentage of the intergrades reversed in the ad.

Needless to say, from that time forward the two subspecies have occupied separate yards.

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about these tortoises either through email, PM or here in this thread.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-88097.html

johndesiles

5 Year Member
I am very surprised to see that the hybridization shows the characters emys babies and phayrei.! We can be on only on animals WC!

Star-of-India

10 Year Member!
Hi Yvonne,

I hope not too off topic, but are you able to keep Manouria outside in Clovis, CA, all year 'round? As they're from Myanmar I'd have thought otherwise.

-Doug

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, all my tortoises live outside with heated, insulated sheds to retire to. During the summer their well-planted and quite shady 'rain forest' there's a misting system over head that sprays a cooling mist and cools the air quite nicely.

Star-of-India

10 Year Member!
Wow! That's impressive! I'm a Northern Californian and spent 11 months in Fresno 20 years ago with my then large adolescent sulcata, which I believe I kept inside that winter, although it'd dug an impressive tunnel/den in the yard.

Doug

I thought it was too cold!

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Star-of-India said:
I thought it was too cold!

Hi Doug:

Their shed never gets much below 75F degrees in the winter. There are two pig blankets on the walls (at ground level) of the Mee side of the shed and two pig blankets on the walls of the Mep side, plus a 250w brooder lamp that hangs down over the middle of the shed. I also have a tort table on one wall with a baby Mep in it, and the heat/light for her table helps with the ambient temp in the shed.

Star-of-India

10 Year Member!
Obviously, you have them well set up to deal with the fluctuations in temp there in the San Joaquin Valley. -Doug

Yvonne, I find Manouria fascinating, but I'm currently about to list my former house on an acre in Santa Cruz county where I would have had the room for large tortoises again. My sulcata in Fresno had to be re-homed when I moved from Fresno to a small apt in NYC.

We'll see what sort of property I'll have in Oakland. At this point I've been living in an apt here in Oakland while waiting for property values to recover, which happily seems to be now. I don't know that I'll have the room for large tortoises here and definitely will wait 'til I have found a house here before I would consider the plunge into Manouria ownership.

Doug

Kapidolo Farms

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Platinum Tortoise Club
South of Southern California, but not Mexico
Will has posted an ad to sell the 4 intergrades we have. He has had a bit of a lapse in memory that I wanted to correct here.

About 16 years ago Will moved to the east coast, leaving his larger tortoises here in my care. At that time I had a young male Mep and a young female Mep of his. Later that year he took in an aged female Mee, Magumba, and sent it to me to add to our collection.

For the next couple of years the male Mep, Darth, was practice-breeding anything in their yard. I didn't think he was big enough yet to be doing any good, so I left them all together in the same yard.

Magumba started nest-building, dragging leaf litter and garden trash into their house, and eventually laid 50 eggs, 49 of which were incubated (one broke). Nineteen of the eggs hatched. Will and I split the babies. I sold all of mine and he sold his, but kept back the four that are now for sale on the Forum.

So, the 'dam' is Magumba, the wild-caught, but long term captive Mee and the 'sire' is Darth, the young captive-bred and randy Mep. Will has the parentage of the intergrades reversed in the ad.

Needless to say, from that time forward the two subspecies have occupied separate yards.

I'm happy to answer any questions you may have about these tortoises either through email, PM or here in this thread.

http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread-88097.html

YEAH, so the original buyer had a life event change, so they are available again/still. All sales parameters are the same.

I guess if you have Egyptians, spiders (tortoises), pancakes, or K. natalensis I can be talked into a trade. Yvonne give a shout out if you can receive a trade on something.