Managing heat and humidity

Location (City and/or State)
Stamford, CT, USA
Hi, I have a new Red Foot hatchling and I built him a new table. Everything has been running pretty smoothly besides heating and humidity. I have a uv and ceramic heat emitter but the entire table is 70 degrees besides the basking spot which is usually okay besides when it overheats and gets to 115+ (degrees). And I can't tell if this light will work or if I need a strip light. And my other problem is humidity. The humidity is usually way too low which I know can be dangerous especially for red foots. Some have advised me to close the top of the table, which I can definitely do, so could anyone give me some input on that? I am thankful for any info anyone can provide. Thanks:)

johnandjade

5 Year Member
scotland
hello from bonnie scotland:) , unfortunately i can't help :(, @ZEROPILOTis the fella i would ask for advice. post up lots of pictures to help with advice, and keep on 'tortin :p

daniellenc

Maryland
Your CHE needs to be on a thermostat to keep it under 90 degrees. Your entire table shouldn't be below 80 degrees or they can't properly digest food. Can you post a picture possibly it makes recommendations much easier.

daniellenc

Maryland
I would get something to cover the top for sure because there's no way to keep your temps and humidity up in an open table. Purchasing plexi glass and having holes cut to set your CHE on top of maybe? Then you can screw strip UVB lighting onto the top in the enclosure to get more coverage. Definitely need a thermostat connected to that CHE 115 degrees is waaaaay to hot.

daniellenc

Maryland
It should be completely covered and you could use hinges or simply have it cut a bit big and lift if off to mist, feed, and change water. You can also dump warm water once a week in the corners to up humidity even more.

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
To be really honest the amount of work and money your going to have to continue to sink in to this project to make it work is going to be daunting.
I would suggest starting over.
Go to a few store like lows home Depot and Walmart and find a container 3 ft long and a foot or two wide. This will suffice for a while and it's very cheap. Maybe only 15$ for the tub. This is what I was keeping my RF in. It's simple easy holds heat and humidity, and will last you a few months while you plot the future. You really cant afford to let him go any longer in those conditions.
I would also ditch the half long, because they mold and are a tipping Hazzard. And I would switch out the water bowl for a plant saucer . Because those types of bowls can be a tipping and drowning Hazzard.

Let me know if you can't see the pic.
2eb5572d980e1118706539eff9615b55.jpg

Stamford, CT, USA
To be really honest the amount of work and money your going to have to continue to sink in to this project to make it work is going to be daunting.
I would suggest starting over.
Go to a few store like lows home Depot and Walmart and find a container 3 ft long and a foot or two wide. This will suffice for a while and it's very cheap. Maybe only 15$ for the tub. This is what I was keeping my RF in. It's simple easy holds heat and humidity, and will last you a few months while you plot the future. You really cant afford to let him go any longer in those conditions.
I would also ditch the half long, because they mold and are a tipping Hazzard. And I would switch out the water bowl for a plant saucer . Because those types of bowls can be a tipping and drowning Hazzard.

Let me know if you can't see the pic.
2eb5572d980e1118706539eff9615b55.jpg

That probably seems what I might have to do now. I would only want to do that as a last resort though. Do you recommend this over plexiglass because this works better or is less expensive?

Stamford, CT, USA
It should be completely covered and you could use hinges or simply have it cut a bit big and lift if off to mist, feed, and change water. You can also dump warm water once a week in the corners to up humidity even more.

I think I will go with this option thanks. But I have one last question. I really can't get a plexiglass covering at this time. I can in a couple of weeks though. I heard the some people use a towel to keep in humidity? What could I use in the mean time until I get plexiglass?

Korall

Sweden
I think I will go with this option thanks. But I have one last question. I really can't get a plexiglass covering at this time. I can in a couple of weeks though. I heard the some people use a towel to keep in humidity? What could I use in the mean time until I get plexiglass?

Anything that tolerates heat and humidity works to cover the top.

Some people use aluminum foil, though that probably won't work on your enclosure unless you have some kind of frame to hold it up.
I've never used a towel though.

daniellenc

Maryland
Towels are porous so I doubt they would keep heat or humidity in well and of course your lights would then pose a fire hazard. Even a wooden board with the lighting screwed in or of course a $15 tub like shown above. You could still use all your lighting you have and cut a hole for the CHE and simply screw in the UVB light to the lid. It's what I use and while not pretty it's cheap and effective.

Alexio

Syracuse, New York
That probably seems what I might have to do now. I would only want to do that as a last resort though. Do you recommend this over plexiglass because this works better or is less expensive?
I would say it works better and is less expensive. I have done the plexiglass thing and it's a constant nightmare of shifting and shifting. It's also pricy. I personally would also worry about the wood in your enclosure molding when you actually bring the humidity up to 80-90%. It is also a pain to fit plexiglass around something like lights while maintaining a good seal. I recommend the storage bin because as long as you have a che on thermostat with a thermometer you really are set. The work is taken care of. Close the lid and your done. My fear is it will take you too long to figure out how to salvage your enclose and your tortoise may suffer in the meantime. If you really want to stay your route though, go to Lowe's or home Depot and buy a roll of reflectix. It's large and looks like bubble wrap tin foil. You just unroll and cut. You can cut out holes for your lights as well.
They problem is with with reflectix, or with plexiglass, if you can manage to seal the top completely this will make it too hot because all the heat will be trapped and the bulbs are so close to the table.
I have never been able to figure out how to make an enclosed chamber less than 18" tall work for any tortoise.

Stamford, CT, USA
I've tried the foil and it's not working I'm getting worried all he does is sleep. He doesn't really drink(well I haven't seen him) and he only eats if you hand feed him. I'm considering taking him to the vet or keeping his table outside for a little while so I can figure this out. I might have to go with the tub you was talking about. Do you guys think it's ok to keep him outside in the table?

daniellenc

Maryland
image.jpg Get the $15 dollar tub! Fill with moist orchard bark and coconut coir. Get strip UVB lights and cut a hole for the CHE like this above. I literally drilled the light in using these screwsimage.jpg

Attachments

• IMG_1912.JPG
    IMG_1912.JPG
    1.3 MB · Views: 6

daniellenc

Maryland
Nope they get all the air they need opening the enclosure twice a day for misting, feeding, and water changes.