Management of young russian turtle

Desabuse

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Good afternoon,

I have small russian female (84 g, length about 8 cm, i don't know her old). I have read many literature, but a few questions about her management:
a) how old could be my turtle,
b) is good, that UVB lamp is 30 cm above turtle,
c) how often i must give the food for her (i mean how many times per day), i give a food 2 times per day, but i worry about very fast grow, what food is the best for small turtles,
d) how often i must give vitamine D for this turtle (times per week),
e) how often i must give calcium (times per week),
f) what best diet plan could you suggest me for her (for example, 1day, 2day and so on........),
g) there are these temp. in terrarium: cold side: 25 - 30, centre: 30, warm side: 30 - 32, at night 26. But i measured these temp in the air not over the substrate. Question is: what best temp. is for this small turtle.

Thanks for answers.

Tom

The Dog Trainer
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Southern California
Good afternoon,

I have small russian female (84 g, length about 8 cm, i don't know her old). I have read many literature, but a few questions about her management:
a) how old could be my turtle,
b) is good, that UVB lamp is 30 cm above turtle,
c) how often i must give the food for her (i mean how many times per day), i give a food 2 times per day, but i worry about very fast grow, what food is the best for small turtles,
d) how often i must give vitamine D for this turtle (times per week),
e) how often i must give calcium (times per week),
f) what best diet plan could you suggest me for her (for example, 1day, 2day and so on........),
g) there are these temp. in terrarium: cold side: 25 - 30, centre: 30, warm side: 30 - 32, at night 26. But i measured these temp in the air not over the substrate. Question is: what best temp. is for this small turtle.

Thanks for answers.

There is no way to know the sex at that size, and you have a tortoise, not a turtle. Can you post a pic for us to confirm the ID of your species?

a) No way for us to know. Could be 5 months or 5 years.
b) Only a UV meter can answer that. It depends on what type of UV bulb you are using. What type are you using?
c) Tortoises are grazers and they should be free fed the correct foods daily. I like to always have some food available. Do you know the correct foods?
d) This depends on your diet, your enclosure, how much time the tortoise gets outside and your UV bulbs. Safe bet is a small pinch twice a week for a young growing russian tortoise.
e) Same as d.
f) Feed a wide variety of all this stuff:
Mulberry leaves
Grape vine leaves
Hibiscus leaves
African hibiscus leaves
Blue hibiscus leaves
Rose of Sharon leaves
Rose leaves
Geraniums
Gazanias
Lavatera
Pansies
Petunias
Hostas
Honeysuckle
Cape honeysuckle
Leaves and blooms from any squash plant, like pumpkin, cucumber, summer squash, etc...
Young spineless opuntia cactus pads

Weeds:
There are soooooooo many...
Dandelion
Mallow
Filaree
Smooth Sow thistle
Prickly Sow thistle
Milk thistle
Goat head weed
Cats ear
Nettles
Trefoil
Wild onion
Wild mustard
Wild Garlic
Clovers
Broadleaf plantain
Narrow leaf plantain
Chick weed
Hawksbit
Hensbit
Hawksbeard

Other good stuff:
"Testudo Seed Mix" from http://www.tortoisesupply.com/SeedMixes
Pasture mixes or other seeds from http://www.groworganic.com/seeds.html
Homegrown alfalfa
Mazuri Tortoise Chow
ZooMed Grassland Tortoise Food

g) Best temps are: Warm side around 27. Cool side and night around 18-21, basking area directly under the bulb around 37.

Please read these. All of these questions and more are covered here:
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/russian-tortoise-care-sheet.80698/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/thread...or-other-herbivorous-tortoise-species.107734/
http://www.tortoiseforum.org/threads/beginner-mistakes.45180/

Desabuse

5 Year Member
Thanks for answers.
I will put image later.
I use reptiglo 5 tube lamp, but i have reptiglo 10.
Questions is about the lamp: what tube lamp is the best for small tortoise: reptiglo 5, reptiglo 10 or reptisun?
a) About the food....
Many people give kale, cabbages, but i have read, that there are many oxalates in these vegetables. And dandeliona has many vitamin A....So the problem is that..........if food has many calcium, it has many oxalates or many vit. a too........
b) And other question....can i give romaine salldas for my tortoise?
c) I have read the links under your text.......so...i understood, that i must vitamin d and calcium give to my tortoise 2 times per week...but other atuhors write: calcium 2 - 3 times per week and vitamin d 1 time per week...So, stupid question..how often i must give vit. d and calcium....By the way...I have nektton rep: there are calcium and vit. a, vit. d.....i use nekton msa (vit. d., vit. a, minerals).
d) Can give, for examlpe...tommorow nekton rep, on 4day nekton msa, on5day only calcium carbonate tab., on 7 day nekton msas.......Or is this plan bad? I am thinking, what is better: only calcium carbonate (for humans) or nekton rep...There is many vit. a there.
e) And what about soaking of my small tortoise.I understood, that i mus soak her on every other day...
f) about the temp.....you write one temp., but i have found, that other authros suggest these temp: night 26 C, Cool side 24 C. So, what temp is correct...
g) and last question: humidyti of terraium is 20 - 30 percents. I use two water dishes, small towel, but humidyti is only 20 - 30...What humidity is correct..I have found...less than 50,

Thank for answers.