Malfunctioning Temp Gun - Be Careful!

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Boston, MA
Has anyone ever had their temperature gun go haywire? I noticed the displayed temp jumping up and down a lot (when the situation didn't call for it) over the last day or so and now it's just very clearly WRONG at times. I tried changing the battery, but that didn't help.

I'm curious if anyone has had this happen to their temp gun...? Thankfully I've got a second one on hand (for checking the beehives), but it makes me nervous that I could've been keeping my sick tortoise at an incorrect temperature (yikes!)...I'm pretty confident my temps have been within a good range, but a malfunction is just something I never really considered. Just something to be aware of...Too much trust in any one piece of technology isn't good!

FYI, it's this one here. I've had it for 3 years with no problems...
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00837ZGRY/?tag=exoticpetnetw-20

MPRC

5 Year Member
Oregon
We've got two guns and frequently test them against each other to make sure we are accurate.

dmmj

The member formerly known as captain awesome
10 Year Member!
CA
I honestly thought I was going to start reading that they started shooting out high powered lasersor something

wellington

10 Year Member!
Tortoise Club
Chicago, Illinois, USA
I have two I use all the time. Probably at least two years now with no battery change. Longer on the actual guns. Haven't had any problems.

cecely

5 Year Member
California
Woah. I have the same one as you and I literally just got back from checking temps thinking the same thing!

I've only had mine a few months but it has always been a bit jumpy. Jumpy as in the readings constantly change if I move it even an inch but it does seem like it frightens easily too haha, especially if I point it at something black.

Do you think that's normal or perhaps mine is also malfunctioning?

I'm worried about getting accurate temps since I just moved him to a new mostly closed enclosure for the first time.

Think I'll invest in another, just in case.

Pokeymeg

5 Year Member
Boston, MA
Woah. I have the same one as you and I literally just got back from checking temps thinking the same thing!

I've only had mine a few months but it has always been a bit jumpy. Jumpy as in the readings constantly change if I move it even an inch but it does seem like it frightens easily too haha, especially if I point it at something black.

Do you think that's normal or perhaps mine is also malfunctioning?

I'm worried about getting accurate temps since I just moved him to a new mostly closed enclosure for the first time.

Think I'll invest in another, just in case.

Some jumping back and forth is normal... When I say mine was jumping, it was 10-20 degree difference. NOT normal! Paying $15 for an extra temp gun is fairly cheap for peace of mind!

ZEROPILOT

REDFOOT WRANGLER
Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
South Eastern Florida (U.S.A.)/Rock Hill S.C.
I have one that was like $15 and i use it at least once a week. It works GREAT for dialing in carburetor settings on multi cylinder engines, etc.
I almost never use it for my torts.