Males or females?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Anfi

5 Year Member
Dear friends, please help me to determine sex of my 3 red footed tortoises:

1) This is 100% male and I put his photo here just to compare with the rest of my tortoises, his length is 20 cm (7.9 inches) His plastron is concaved, his tail is very long and he behaves like a male :p. He is 5-6 years old, i'm not sure if he is captive bred or not but at least he lives last years in captivity

2) I'm not sure about this one. Length is just 13 cm (5.1 inches), juvenile about 5 years old
Plastron is not concaved, lives in captiviry at least last 2 years

3) I think that this one is a female but I'm not sure, it's nearly the same size with my male and it's x2 older (~10 years old), length is 18.5 cm (7.3 inches), it was taken directly from the wild nature ~4 months ago so probably it growth slowly. Plastron is not concaved, tail is short I'm a bit confused because of her/his anal scute.

Neohippy

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
Red Deer, AB
Looked like:
Male
Female
Male

Just due to the angle of the anal scutes.

Madkins007

10 Year Member!
Location (City and/or State)
Nebraska
Things to look for:

Tail: The male's is almost embarrassingly long and almost always carried tucked to one side. Female's is shorter and more likely to stick out.

Anal Scute's Angle: The last two plastron scutes, the Anals, form an angle in front of the tail. A 90 degree angle is a female, a very wide open angle is a male.

Anal Scute's Gap: The gap between the points of the anal scutes and the marginals is wider for a male- big enough to sweep the tail through. The opening on a female is much closer- barely able to move the tail past.

Shell Shape: In Northern Red-foots, there should be a wasp-waist to the adult male, and a deeply concave plastron.

To me, #1 is a male, #2 and 3 are females.

Status
Not open for further replies.