Male turtle fanning issue

Skyisthebest

Hello I have a male RES and ever since he reached 4 inches he is always fanning. I would notice him having an inch of his penis out and then keep it in again. There was also once where the entire penis was out and he seems to have his eyes closed like trying to squeeze something out. Could he be trying to poop but end up squeezing out his penis instead? Should I take him to a vet? Thanks

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Location (City and/or State)
Clovis, CA
Usually the only time it's a problem is if it comes out and won't go back inside. I think you should wait a week or so and see if he stops doing it on his own. What is his diet?

Skyisthebest

I can only get him to eat commercial pellets which I feed him reptomin. I tried with the veggies he he just bites into them and spits them out.

Also. I think it has already been a week or so. He has also been flickering his fingers but at his own reflection against the glass of his tank. Could he be thinking that there's another RES in there with him that he's trying to show his dominance?

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Yes, quite possible. Have you tried live food?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Male Sliders, cooters and painted turtles use the very long front "fingernails" as an important part of the mating ritual. The male will swim above, or backwards directly in front of the female and "tickle" the sides of her face with those nails. You guy is seeing another turtle in the reflection and definitely has amorous interest.

Flashing is quite common in tortoises, but much less so in turtles. With his obvious amorous mindset, I would not be worried at all unless as Yvonne states, he cannot get it back in. That would be very serious. But don't worry with what he is doing now.

At 4" your guy is still quite young. Youngsters are almost entirely carnivorous. Its hard to get them to show any interest in vegetable matter of any type. Pellets are a great staple for turtles. I do prefer the Mazuri pellets to the reptomin for adults, although I love the reptomin baby pellet for very young turtles. For treats - go the other way - toss in some red wigglers, mealworms, cut up shrimp, or chicken.

mrscornsnake

Do you cook the chicken and shrimp or leave it raw. I always want to give my guys some but never sure if I'm supposed to cook it. Hubby says not too cuz it would be raw in nature.

ascott

10 Year Member!
Apple Valley, California
Do you cook the chicken and shrimp or leave it raw. I always want to give my guys some but never sure if I'm supposed to cook it. Hubby says not too cuz it would be raw in nature.

They also really love crickets (you can use freeze dried ones)....and nightcrawlers....meat is their fav ...veggies and greens are a little more interesting when they age/get older...but they will literally eat almost anything....little piggies...

Skyisthebest

Update: he doesn't eat veggies still. He just bites them and spits them out. But he's still loving the meat though. He's almost 4.5 inches now. And I really want to get him to eat veggies soon.

Unfortunately, he's still pushing out his penis. And he looks like he's in pain: all tensed up, eyes closed, head pushed into the shell). He really is pushing his entire penis out. And I'm really worried. Is it time to visit a vet?

Markw84

10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Sacramento, CA (Central Valley)
Red Ears are mostly carnivores. When young, almost exclusively. I do not worry about veggies at all for RES. Are you offering a good pellet, like mazuri aquatic turtle pellets? A good pellet is the staple base for a balanced diet for your turtle. The meat treats will always be enjoyed.

As far as the fanning - I've never really seen any of my aquatic turtles do this very much. The actions you describe are normal as when I have seen it, they act much as a female laying eggs act with that straining type look. I just have not had one do it as much as you describe. As long as he is pooping normally, and the penis retracts back in totally, I would not be concerned. A vet could x-ray to look for a blockage, but if he is excreting normally, that should not be an issue.