Male Russian Tortoise for Adoption

J9inCT

Location (City and/or State)
Seminole, FL
I've been reading messages on this forum for a while, and in particular, the threads about male tortoises being confrontational. Today I witnessed my first male (Sheldon) biting my second male (Shelby) and I'm concerned.

I have four russian torts... two males and two females. Looking for someone to adopt my second male, Shelby. (I've had Sheldon for 7 years, and he seems to be doing fine with the females).

I live in Pinellas County, Florida. Please respond if local and interested.

Thanks!

Surrealmuse

Tampa, Florida
I live in Land O Lakes near Tampa so I'm probably only a hour away. Is the tortoise captive breed or wild caught? How big is he? How big is his current enclosure? I'm in the process of getting a tabletop enclosure that is 48x31 inches. And eventually, I'm converting a 4x8 foot raised bed into an enclosure. I live on conservation so I need a lid and higher walls as it's only 11 inches deep without substrate. Oh, and does he already have a name he responds to? Looking forward to hearing back from you.

J9inCT

Seminole, FL
To be honest, some of these questions I can answer, some I'm not sure.

I purchased him from someone who thought he was a she. Not sure if wild or captive bred, but the base of his shell is smooth, which I understand is more typical of captive bred.

He will eat out of your hand and I feed him a variety of romaine lettuce, collard, turnip greens, spring mix or cabbage. He LOVES the cabbage most. A couple times a week, I put tortoise salad dressing on his greens.

He is fully grown, about 6-7 inches.

His current enclosure is 48x48. I set it up so he has different sections: basking section with a UVA/UVB spotlight, grassy section, food/water, substrate section (organic soil mixed with coconut fiber) with caves for burrowing. Height is about 16"

He has quite a sweet disposition. I'm just concerned about his safety.

I live in Seminole, so the distance is doable.

Colin the Campbell

Ottawa
If you are still looking for a home for your tortoise and your not opposed to shipping (i would pay) i would love to take your tortoise!

DrBwell

St. Augustine, FL
I’m in St. Augustine and I’m seriously interested in your tortoise. Pm me so we can meet if you still have him.

Young.d3nz3l._

Miami fl
I've been reading messages on this forum for a while, and in particular, the threads about male tortoises being confrontational. Today I witnessed my first male (Sheldon) biting my second male (Shelby) and I'm concerned.

I have four russian torts... two males and two females. Looking for someone to adopt my second male, Shelby. (I've had Sheldon for 7 years, and he seems to be doing fine with the females).

Thanks!
You ship or no

DrBwell

St. Augustine, FL

Thanks!
You never contacted me about adopting Shelby?