Male or female?

Lisalou

Location (City and/or State)
Aylesbury
Hi
My tortoise is 4 years old could somebody please tell me if it is male or female please I was told he is male
Thanks

IMG_20200221_123003.jpgIMG_20200221_123025.jpg

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
In the Mediterranean species a "slit" shaped cloaca usually indicates male, while a "star" shape indicates female. I might be that at four years your tortoise is still too young to have the male characteristics, such as the really big, fat tail. But judging from the shape of the cloaca I'd say male.

Toddrickfl1

Tortoise Club
5 Year Member
Platinum Tortoise Club
Ga
In the Mediterranean species a "slit" shaped cloaca usually indicates male, while a "star" shape indicates female. I might be that at four years your tortoise is still too young to have the male characteristics, such as the really big, fat tail. But judging from the shape of the cloaca I'd say male.
I learn something new everyday on TFO!

Lisalou

Aylesbury
Thank you I have had lots of people say female today but I can see a slit in his tail and not a star

William Lee Kohler

5 Year Member
Eugene, OR
Personally I'd say a babe. One question though: there seems to be a lot of shell wear for a four year old. Are you sure of the age?

Lisalou

Aylesbury
Personally I'd say a babe. One question though: there seems to be a lot of shell wear for a four year old. Are you sure of the age?
Hi
I'm not 100% sure on the age when we brought the tortoise they said he/she was 1 year old and we have had the tortoise for 3 years now maybe he/she was older than what they told me? Also they told me it was a male but I've since learned that the tortoise was too young for them to be able to sex!

Lisalou

Aylesbury
Hi
I'm not 100% sure on the age when we brought the tortoise they said he/she was 1 year old and we have had the tortoise for 3 years now maybe he/she was older than what they told me? Also they told me it was a male but I've since learned that the tortoise was too young for them to be able to sex!
The measurement of the tortoise is 6 inches