Male or female tortoises

downunder

Location (City and/or State)
Morocco
When I moved into a house I found there were 2 tortoises in the garden and last week I found one more. All three are different sizes and look a bit different but I think they're all greek tortoises.
All was good until yesterday I found the smallest of the three chasing the new tortoise which was twice its size. It caught up with it and started to mount it and knock it with the shell. The big one tried to get away and finally I took the small one and put it in a different part of the garden. The garden is quite large.

I did some research into the causes of that knocking and chasing and mounting but I'm not sure if it's territorial or sexual. I'm unable to tell what sex they are.
I've included photos with labels: large, medium, small to identify each.

Can you please help?
Thank you.
IMG_0591.JPGIMG_0597.JPGIMG_0598.JPGIMG_0606.JPGIMG_0608.JPGIMG_0610.JPG

TaylorTortoise

Abington
That is awesome! Do you typically see tortoises around your area roaming around?
It looks like They are Females to me. And maybe the middle pic is a male.
Females have shorter but fat tails and tend to be on the larger scale, while males have thin tails and are much longer. Males typically stay smaller than females shell wise.

downunder

Morocco
Thank you. I'm in an area that has vacant lots around where I presume tortoises live.

Maggie3fan

5 Year Member
PacificNorthWest
Thank you. I'm in an area that has vacant lots around where I presume tortoises live.
I'm sure you realize that Greek tortoises are wild in Morocco. I just read this care sheet, and noticed that HermanniChris says they are violent, surprised me. Anyway, here's something to help you...
The Greek Tortoise Care Guide
(Testudo graeca ssp)

TaylorTortoise

Abington
I'm sure you realize that Greek tortoises are wild in Morocco. I just read this care sheet, and noticed that HermanniChris says they are violent, surprised me. Anyway, here's something to help you...
The Greek Tortoise Care Guide
(Testudo graeca ssp)
Violent in what way? lol