Male or Female Sulcata

Status
Not open for further replies.

Yamaha4x4_19

5 Year Member
Location (City and/or State)
St. Louis
Hey guys! I would appreciatte it if somebody could help me identify this sulcata as a male or female. I bought as a female and she/he is 12 inches and has a shorter tail than my obvious male who displays his manhood often. Well I was spraying off her plastron this morning and her "privates" came out. Does this now mean its a male because it only came out a little and my males comes out a lot farther and is bigger. Can females expose their reproductive parts also? Thanks so much!

ImageUploadedByTortForum1375564234.049749.jpgImageUploadedByTortForum1375564250.922297.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
Male. Eventually, those anal scutes will widen more and the tail will elongate and thicken.

Yamaha4x4_19

5 Year Member
St. Louis
Thanks!! Dang I'm disappointed now. It's weird cuz it's plastron is perfectly smooth and tail is really short. My other males tail is twice has long and has a conclaved plastron and is only one inch bigger than this one.

*concaved

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Hi.i got the same problem what u have....have u seen her or now his private parts more often then once? How long was it out for?

Sent from my ZTE N9120 using TortForum mobile app

Yamaha4x4_19

5 Year Member
St. Louis
I have NEVER seen this one do it till today. I was just gonna wash off its plastron so I could show the anal acutes and get everyone's opinion if it was male or female. But when I was spraying the tail and anal scutes with a hose that's when it came out and only for like 5 seconds.

Laura

10 Year Member!
5 Year Member
Foothills above Sacramento CA
I hope it wasn't a guarantee female.. they rarely are... unless it was a Money Back type of guarantee!

Yamaha4x4_19

5 Year Member
St. Louis
Well I got it from somebody on Craigslist who swore it was female but of course I knew it wasn't probably for sure female cuz I didn't get it from a breeder. I was just hoping it was and I was just looking for a possible future breeder for my male down the road but it looks like that's not gonna work now lol

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Well to make u feel better,i probably have also two males. :-(

I hope you didn't pay too much

Yvonne G

Old Timer
TFO Admin
10 Year Member!
Platinum Tortoise Club
Clovis, CA
Some male sulcatas' plastron will show the concave when they are pretty young, and some stay flat until the tortoise is over 50lbs. You can't go by a concave plastron. You have to look at the tail and the anal scutes. And sometimes the gular.

sibi

10 Year Member!
Florida, USA
Now that you know you have two males, it's time to think about separating them. Even if they seem to get along, it may not actually be the case. One will dominate and possible harm the other. Watch for signs of bullying since that can cause eventual death in one of your sullies.

Yamaha4x4_19

5 Year Member
St. Louis
They've never shown any aggression towards each other but yea ill def keep any eye out for that. They are housed with three other Sulcatas also which are between 8-10 inches. They all get along great. At least for now lol

Baoh

10 Year Member!
Florida
At what size did you buy this one?

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
U need to build them something big,best outside

SANDRA_MEISSNEST

5 Year Member
Very nice,i love it.do they have their house outside too.to sleep in

How many sullies u have 5 ?

Yamaha4x4_19

5 Year Member
St. Louis
They do have a shelter outside but I bring them inside every night just cuz I'm to paranoid to leave them outside lol they have a 8ft x 5ft cage inside for now. I'll be building a bigger inside cage for them in a few months.

Yes I have 5.

Status
Not open for further replies.